146 engine ecu - imoobiliser ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyrone
146 engine ecu - imoobiliser ?

hopefully a simple question for those that know these better than I.
I've got a 146 1995/6, 2 litre twin cam engine, it failed the MOT a year ago on rust and has lay down my yard since. I need to scrap it but I would rescue the sweet 80k engine for a project, BUT, need to know, does it have an immobiliser or any other electrical surprises I would need to extract along with the ECU, and if so, where are they? Would appreciate any help anyone can offer as I do need to clear the space soon but would rather not waste a useful little engine, even have a little pickup with a blown engine that would be a bit interesting with this in it...
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
hi, it does indeed have an imobilizer, the CODE system, and that needs to be removed along with the ECU and keys. It is not a problem if the engine is going into another Alfa, as the mechanicals with be using the original ECU and key set, but if going into another car altogether, you need the complete set of electricals.

The code box is under the dashboard, open up the fuse box area, look up and look for a green ECU type unit, that is the CODE box. PITA to remove, but for security reasons it is meant to be. The ECU is under the passenger side carpet, peel back, remove the black plastic cover, undo the securing nuts and unplug. Might be an idea to retain the wiring loom also for the engine/ECU/CODE unit etc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , ecu , engine , imoobiliser