145 junior 1600 twinspark - spark plugs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

145 Junior

145 junior 1600 twinspark - spark plugs

might seem naive question but where are spark plugs located on 1600 TS 145? Doh!
Can't see where and would like to know before removing any bits

Last edited by tome; 09-01-06 at 14:20. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Re: 145 junior 1600 twinspark - spark plugs

If you have a plastic cover on the top of the engine you will see eight raised domed areas these appoximate to the spark plug positions (but they are not staggered actually I think).

The above shows the position of the plugs below the four coil packs.

Diagram previously posted by Hoygaard another AO member in Theory of Twin Spark Thread.

I've never replaced my own plugs on the Alfa - just a bit more to be removed I guess...also you need the correct plugs for the 72,000 mile life. Costly for a set - not the average Halfords supplied jobs.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
AO Silver Member

If you do this job, don't pay Alfa prices; shop4parts do genuine NGK plugs for about quarter the price. Also, if they've been in a while, they may be a bit tight (steel thread in alloy head ) when I did mine I put a load of plus gas in the plug sockets and drove it around for a few days just to make sure I didn't snap the plug Also, its a lot easier if you get a set of genuine ribe sockets to get the rocker cover et al off.

Good luck
AO Member

Dead easy, took me about 30 mins as the light was fading, remove 4 spline screws and take off the oil filler cap, lift off the plastic cover.
Disconnect the feeds to the coil packs (x4) and using same spline bits remove the bolts holding down the coil packs. GENTLY ease the coild packs up from over the plugs, pull the 4 coil packs up evenly and pull the 4 'ordinary' plug leads up to start with. Once you have removed the coil packs etc. you will have access to the 8 plugs, drown them with WD40 and spray a little down each plug cap to aid refitting. Then unscrew and remove.
Fitting is the opposite of reversal (Duh) and make sure the coil packs & secondary leads are clicked home.

All in all a fairly easy job and access is not as much of a problem as some cars I've owned.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

145 Junior

Thanks Guys, very helpful as usual - what would we do without this site

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , 1600 , junior , plugs , spark , twinspark