Hi All, I am a new member. Congrats to the hosts and to all who partake for providing a site packed with useful Alfa technical information. God knows we all need it from time to time
. I baught my Alfa 146 in '98 when it was 6 months old. It was a demo model.
Apart from the pleasure of driving it, to date I have had the following experiences:
1) Diesel sound on startup due to Variator, Alfa Feature!
2) Incorrect spare wheel came with car, only found out when I got a puncture.
3) Car shutting down after ~10 seconds on startup, towed to main dealer who replaced fuse on EMS F.O.C.
4) Clutch pedal going to the floor without response - Clutch Slave Cylinder replaced.
5) Driver side wishbone replaced after 60K, symptom was a rattle.
6) Rattle in drivers door...very loud and annoying - dis-assembled door to find a rubber fastened bolt used to mount the window winder mechanism had broken away from its mounting. Cable tie was the quick fix for this. Bolts are rubber fastened to provide shock absorption.
7) Central locking took on a mind of its own which I now believe to be a symptom of a failing battery. Central locking is sensitive to voltage drops in the car battery.
8) Rear demister stoped working, havent fixed yet.
9) I should also mention hefty costs for servicing especially Timeing belt change. To save some money I purchased my Platinum tiped SPs from clubplug.net. Kinda funny story though as when I was tightening up one of the new plugs the ratchet gave way in my hand and.....YES
the dreaded thread shear had happened. Got very lucky in being able to slowly.... and I mean slowly unscrew the plug without leaving the but of the plug in the engine block. I have another 20k miles to go before I play russian roulette again
10) Most recently Fuel injection light doing a disco dance and car acting sluggish. Going for second timing belt chage next week so will get dealer to check for errors on the car EMS.
Now that I have listed all this stuff I have just realised that I have had my fair share of greef over the years. No doubt there are worse off than me out there. Still.... I still have a little smile on my face when I pick up my car keys each morning and head out the door.