Help needed please... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cry Like A Baby Help needed please...

I need some help from all you people with the know how. I have 2 problems...

1. My brake warning light is flickering. the light on the dash looks like this (0) I have new brakes, the reservoir is filled up and it doesnt go if i pump the brakes, any ideas?

2. The car hold back when running, it wont idle smoothly either. I have replaced the mass air flow meter, the lamba sensor and the only thing i can think of is maybe the idle control valve is blocked, but this is beyond me.

Can anyone help me. i have other problems too, but i will tackle these first.

Many thanks Jason
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
The first one sounds like the ABS light from memory (don't have my book at hand). I'd check out the ABS relays and fuses... and make sure that they're all connected okay. It might be worth seeing if the ABS works at all, to prove this. Take the beast out onto a smooth/flat/wet road and jam the brakes on... obviously only where there's nobody around.

Second problem sounds a bit more peculiar. Did you fit a new "new" MAF and lambda or are they just new "different" (second-hand) ones? Lambda should cure any hunting problems unless you have an air leak.

If the idle doesn't idle (car cuts out) or the revs take a while to settle at 900rpm (or idles at 1100 etc. rpm) then the ICV could be the culprit. Take the beast off and clean out the inside with carb-cleaner. There's a little metal wheel valve that should rotate easily. If yours is stiff or gummed up, then clean it to death with carb' cleaner and then refit.

Not pulling could be the MAF usually... but yours may be new. Check the spark plugs and the HT leads are all good (not cracked, perished, arcing, worn, dirty or bits missing).

While you're poking around, also look at thee joins in the intake (particularly the rubber bellows before the throttle body) and make sure there are no leaks.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146