excessive steam from exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

excessive steam from exhaust

hi, was looking for some help. over the last few weeks my 156 jts has started producing excessive steam from the exhaust. and is taking ages to warm up. not loosing any coolant. and no mixing of the coolant and oil. does anyone have any idears please. after it has been running for about 30 mins it reaches about 90 c and the steam almoast vanashes
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Jihomoravský
Hi Daz
Taking very long for the engine to warm up could indicate the thermostat blocked open, which I believe isn't that uncommon, but that by itself probably wouldn't cause the excessive steam you're seeing.
Lots of white smoke going form the exhaust could mean coolant leaking through the head gasket (the same happened to me a few years back) but you report that you're not loosing any coolant... does the car run well aside from this? Have you noticed any changes in its performance?

AO Member
County: Norfolk
Hi Daz, i would say same as Jan, and look at thermostat, and exhaust steam, could just be condensation, as the weather is pretty cold and changing at the mo, are there any holes in your exhaust?
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Firstly, steam from the exhaust in the current cold weather is normal. This will usually subside a lot once the engine is fully up to temp and any moisture that has gathered in the exhaust has dissipated.

Therefore, if your thermostat is stuck open and it's taking half an hour to get up to temp, it's obviously going to take much longer for the moisture in the exhaust to dissipate.

Check the thermostat, fix that problem and see where it leaves you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

excessive , exhaust , steam