Creaking noise comes and goes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Jihomoravský
Creaking noise comes and goes

Hi everybody
I'd like to get a second (or third, fourth, fifth... the more the better) opinion on one thing that has happened to my Alfa today.
The car is AR 146, engine Twin Spark 1.8 plastic top.
Today in the morning I started the car to move it into my father-in-law's garage and all of a sudden there's a quite strong creaking/squeking noise coming from the engine, which wasn't there yesterday when we drove to my wife's parent's house to for the weekend.
Opening the bonnet, I found the noise is coming from the belt side, from the back of the engine - from the alternator or the power steering pump.
I didn't continue to investigate the noise more closely, because I had another job to do (had to change the driver's door window seal - hope that's the right word to use here), after which lunch was ready, after which we had coffee and cakes... anyway I returned to the car only late in the afternoon.
I took off the auxiliary belt, and tried rotating all the pulleys by hand to see if any of them is noisy or doesn't turn freely. All were fine except of the alternator pulley, which was making only the slightest noise. As a check I also ran the engine without the auxiliary belt; as expected, the noise was gone.
Now, however, comes the suprising part of the story: having put the auxiliary belt back, I started the engine again just to make sure I put the belt back right - and the noise wasn't there anymore.
So at the moment I'm thinking it probably is the alternator, but I'm not sure what could have caused the noise to appear and disappear again so suddenly. On possibility comes to mind: in the morning, the car had sat in the rain (possibly it had been raining whole night), and the high humidity caused the alternator to make the noise. Later in the afternoon the car had been in the garage for several hours, and had had time to dry up, which made the noise disappear. Does such an explanation make sense to you guys?
Hope at least someone managed to read such a long post until the very end, and thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions ;-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

creaking , noise