alfa 146 ti 20l timing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-12 Thread Starter
County: Gauteng
Not Happy alfa 146 ti 20l timing

Hey guys I snapped my cambelt and I was just wondering if any of you can tell me the correct timing settings becouse I changed my pistons with 20l mazda egi high compression pistons I need the correct timing for the velve clearings
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
General advice is that you have to have the correct timing camlocks - because of the adjustable cams, there are no cam markings as such with which to set them.

I assume that the Mazda pistons are dimensionally identical to the Alfa ones - including the valve cutouts? - otherwise it may all come to grief - the Alfa is an "interference" engine and there is very little room for manouvre with regard to valve clearance.

Also bear in mind that its always recommended to change the big end bearings after a belt snap - though I imagine you'll have done that as you've stripped the unit anyway...

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 17-12-12 Thread Starter
Thanx any way. I did decide to redo the intire engen seeing that it had broken the timing belt so I went with knife edging the crank . Ballancing the sub assembly roller bearing crank shaft and take out the Mazda pistons and fit much better stronger pistons like 2,5 Volkswagen carrevelle pistons port and pollish the head and then bigger velves and a pair of 267 bullet cast cams and a bossal performance outlet and my friend works at Watkins racing and he is going to built a pair of throttle bodies seeing that the engen had broken o figured the cast cams wil give better clearins
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
Interesting - I only found 81.5 and 82.5mm bore 2.5 VW engines - do you take oversize pistons then to get 83mm?

For the cams, I am sure you're going away then with the variator?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , 20l , alfa , timing