Which spark plugs for my 1.4 8V Boxer? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 146

Help Which spark plugs for my 1.4 8V Boxer?

This is actually an X-post from the 145/146 forum, but I'd like to read your opinion too.

As we all are aware, Golden Lodge spark plugs are hard, almost impossible to get hold of these days. That got me thinking: what to replace them with?
It's been almost 125.000 km since the car rolled off the production line, and after a few misfires here and there, I think it's time to change the plugs.

What brand should I look into? NGK, Bosch, Champion? I've asked everywhere, and all I got was a spark plug that looked nowhere near the GL 2HL.

This is a picture of 2HL plug, I'm guessing it's a quad tip or something:

and everywhere I've asked, they offered me spark plugs with that thingy on the tip:

something like this.

And that confuses me a little. 2HLs are designed to sit as close as possible to the piston head so the mixture is ignited without a misfire. Won't that thingy hit the piston? I've used Golden Lodge 2HL on my previous boxers, never ever tried anything else.

Need help, and it will be appreciated.

Last edited by MartinMKD; 29-09-12 at 16:13. Reason: added photos
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
The amount of "projection" into the combustion chamber and the heat range of the plugs is the most important thing.

If you get a Bosch Super-4 or NGK equivalent and sit it next to the Golden Lodge then you'll be able to compare how much of the spark plug projects past the end of the threaded portion.

The conventional shaped plug with the curved earth electrode (the "thingy") should have a shorter nose than the GL plugs, so that the addition of the electrode on the end doesn't make the plug longer overall. It doesn't really matter if the "nose" is shorter.. as long as the overall plug length is the same (or the electrode could hit the piston, as you say).

I used Bosch Super-4 in my 33 since changing the plugs in that thing was a mission.. and I wanted plugs that I didn't ever need to tweak.. They worked fine.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Hi When you say 1.4 do you mean 1351? I have a 1351Ti and on recommendation on this forum am running NGK B7ES with a 31 thou gap.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
I am posting some GL2hl plugs on Ebay in two weeks time
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Tried something like www.sparkplugs.co.uk to see what they offer?
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 146

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
I was waiting on you to help me but my 145 was running like s*it so i had to get whatever type i could find.
I settled for some NGK with a curved electrode (thanks Ralf S. for improving my english ) and yes, the length was the same.
Car seems to be running fine, in combination with Bosch ignition cables, also new.

@gazza82 i would, but since the sh*tty country i live in has trouble sending shipments to the correct address, it's not worth the risk.

Thanks for the help, mark as solved.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

boxer , plugs , spark