145 ignition switch - help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 1.6l

145 ignition switch - help

My 145 has decided to play games when starting. Sometimes it will and sometimes not. When it does not start I cannot hear any sound from the starter solenoid, not do the lights dim slightly. Conclusion, no current to the starter. Suspect the ignition switch on the end of the key barrel. Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement switch? The car is a December 1994, 1.6 petrol model. Any help or other ideas much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
Could it be as simple as a loose connection?
If its not there are plenty being broken on eBay? Not sure if you will need to change the ecu too though. So new key would be recognised. I'm sure someone here will know.
AO Gold Member
If - fairly big if - the electrical part of the ignition switch is faulty, you can replace it without needing to replace ECU etc....but I would think its much more likely to be something like a poor earth to the engine, or connection where the power lead goes to the starter. First check would be to connect a jump lead from battery earth to the engine or gearbox - if that solves your issue, you can sort / replace the original earth - which goes from the chassis leg to the gearbox.

If it doesn't work, you really need to try putting a direct feed to the starter solenoid trigger terminal - not the easiest job, unfortunately......

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 29-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 1.6l

Thanks guys. I had the ignition switch off and cleaned up the contacts. So far so good. The car is fitted with an old Cobra immobiliser (with key fob that you poke into a round connector). The fobs don't work reliably any more so would like to uninstall the beast. This could also be causing a problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , ignition , switch