146 mystery water ingress - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-08-12 Thread Starter
County: Fife

Member car:

146 mystery water ingress

Hi folks, I seem to have a leak! I've noticed that during heavy rain or whilst using the jet wash, that water seems to run into the passenger door and exits through the door card past the bottom of the speaker. I don't have speaker grilles fitted so it's quite easy to notice. When lifting the carpet prior to getting the rear floor pan welded I noticed that all the sound deadening felt was soaking with what appeared to be just water and not coolant or anything, which suggests that it's not a fault with the heater matrix.

I checked the drain holes under the scuttle panel and under the blocks at the bonnet hinges and they're all clear. I don't have a sunroof or air-con either. I did notice though that the rubber seal at the top of the scuttle panel where it meets the windscreen is very loose and works itself free when using a pressure washer, could this be the problem? Water is maybe getting in under the scuttle panel and therefore not having a chance to run towards the drain holes under the wiper motor then perhaps entering the door through the boot containing the cables?

That's my theory anyway, but I'd appreciate any ideas as to what would be causing water to come in specifically through the speaker hole.

Also the welder covered over the drainholes in the rear footwells, is it a good idea to perhaps drill some new holes?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

Phase 2 145 QV

Hello, are the rubber grommets at the back of the bonnet hinges there? I had this exact same problem on my Phase 1 and found the source of the leak to be their -- remove the 2 foam block and check to see if they are present and/or intact.

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

I've heard that when the cars are built, when the electrics are pulled through the bulkhead into the car they sometimes dislodge the rubber seal that is then covered by a plate so you cant see it! Quality control on alfa's??
AO Platinum Member
If it's coming in through the door card, it can only be entering the door down the window.

Take the inner door card off (unscrew all the furniture then prise off the panel from it's pop studs) and have a look.

You should have a plastic liner under the door card that prevents you from looking into the door internals.

If yours is missing, you can replace it by cutting the shape of the opening from a heavy-duty plastic sheet and "gluing" it to the edge of the door. The factory uses something like silicone sealant not miles different from black instant gasket to stick the liner to the edge of the hole.. but you can try silicone sealant or anything waterproof. Even Evo-stick will do.

And it smells nice...

Before you do that... grease up all the door lock mechanism, levers and joints, squirt some WD40 onto any electrical connector blocks (windows?) and lube the window runners, since you don't want to go back in there for a while.

Also check the door drains. The door has 2 or 3 slots at the bottom and yours may be blocked or welded over (if someone replaced the door-skin in the past). If you have no drain holes, the water will sit in the bottom of the door until it eventually floods. Water getting "into" the door isn't a problem.. it's designed like that... but it should all leave out of the drains.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , ingress , mystery , water

« Airbags | High rpm »