What can I do to Improve the performance of my Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 16v TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-05-12 Thread Starter
County: Essex
What can I do to Improve the performance of my Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 16v TS

Good afternoon All

Firstly, I am very new to this site and new to my Alfa. I have an Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 16v TS.

Can anyone please list off a few things I can do in and around the engine to improve its efficiently, performance etc. I bought the car secondhand and have had it for around a year. Its starting to feel a little sluggish. Sometimes when I start driving, I put my foot down as usual, it pulls away sluggishly, slows down, then pulls away again. Almost like its about to cut out half way through. I continue to drive along, I stick my foot down and it feels as though its not going anywhere. Taking ages to speed up.

So, if there's anyone out there who can list of a few things I can do to give it a good overhaul, no what's going on? and what I can do to improve things, It would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
i would replace/check spark plugs,clean throttle body with carb cleaner get a k and n panel filter also maf can affect performance may need to replace that,,,these are what i have done to my qv and also had it remapped at angel tuning.it runs beautifully now and most of those things you can do yourself....good luck
AO Platinum Member
Yes, the plugs would be the obvious place to start. They're pretty expensive new (around 80 for the set - look on fleabay) so often get neglected, or cheaper non-spec' plugs used instead.

Take yours out and if they look shagged out, replace them.

Use the opportunity to remove any oil that's accummulated in the plug wells, either from spillage while topping up ...or a leaky rocker cover gasket - and check the condition of the HT boots where the lead connects to the sparkplug and also to the coil. Clean everything and if anything looks dry, brittle or corroded, replace it.

The MAF or other sensors could be an issue too... but if you service the beast (you almost may as well while you have the plugs out) then fit a standard paper filter rather than a panel doodah. You want to get the beast running properly before you introduce a non-standard part. When you have the air filter off, clean up the throttle body and geeeeeently wipe around the MAF sensor (it's like a little metal blob sticking up on the end of a piece of fuse-wire, so don't ran a huge cloth down there.. you'll break it).

Replace the fuel filter too.. it's probably the original 12 year old one that it left the factory with. It lives under the car, under a plastic cover, where the right hand rear passenger would park their arris.

Then fill the tank up and add about half a pint (250ml) of paraffin to the petrol. You can buy paraffin from Homebase and B&Q - it's called "Turpentine Substitute" (don't use White Spirit) and it's the main constituent of the proprietary fuel system cleaners you can buy. Add 250ml per tank until the paraffin is all used up...

All this should solve any "build up of gum" issues and make sure that there's no impediments to everything working okay.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 17-05-12 Thread Starter
County: Essex
Thanks very much Ryezy & Ralf S. Is very much appreciated. Will order some bits in and get onto it this weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

Just one more qick question coming from your replies, Will Bosch Super Plus Spark Plugs be any good?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , 16v , alfa , improve , performance , romeo