Buying a 146 1.7 16v boxer thats sat for a while - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Buying a 146 1.7 16v boxer thats sat for a while

Ok, So I went and had a look at a 1.7 16v boxer engined 146 today. The first thing to point out is that I dont want it to drive it, I want the engine and other gubbins out of it for the minari. Thing is, it hasn't run for over a year. It had a new clutch 150 miles ago and then it was parked up when the owner moved away but the brother didn't start it or run it. Obviously no MOT or Tax, but as I said I don't care. I'm intending to take the bits I need and break the rest for parts.

I'm going to take up a battery tomorrow and see if I can get it started. If not then I'm going to walk away but if it does run is there anything I should watch out for?

Any tips are much appreciated.

Bikes: GSXR 400 Gk73a, Kawasaki ZX7R
Cars: Two 1.5 Minari Road Sport Mk2's and a 1.7 16v Minari RSR

My Minari Blog
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Hi. Think I'd take the plugs out and make sure it turns over first and sparks. If it's sat for a year may need some fresh petrol in the carbs to give it a fighting chance.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

156,146, S3syder

Make sure the batts got at least 12.3 to 12.5 volts, on the correct posts and are on tight or you wont have a good earth-use jump leads if not good voltage as they're torguey and need alot to turn them over. If it starts as it prob will, DONT REV IT until the oil has quietened down the hydraulic tappets. Just let it tick over until it does-it will prob sound like a tractor at first if its been sat for a while and will need the oil to be pumped up to tappets to quieten them down as like all boxer engines on subs and vw's. Dont do this and you'll damage the oil seals etc and cause a tappet overhaul or worst. Fresh fuel good but more importantly make sure it has fuel,you dont want to pull through any dirt etc into the fuel lines and injectors. It will prob steam for ages to if its been sat still and ticking over wont really clear it, only a good run will which you cant do as no mot or tax. Obviously check if it blows oil out of the exhaust,there may a little at first until it settles down then none. Hope this helps
AO Platinum Member
It'll smoke a lot.. (oil seeping where it shouldn't and condensation all over the place) so don't be alarmed straight away. Give it time to start and idle.. If it settles down quietly then it should all be good.. but don't beat it up until you give it fresh oil..

Before you start it, work the clutch in and out a few times, since that'll be sticky. It's easier for the battery to crank it over when the clutch is disengaged (so... clutch pedal in).

These engines flood reeeeally easily... so if you can get hold of some new plugs and a plug spanner then that'll be useful. See if the toolkit spanner is present since there is about 3cm of space between cylinder and chassis for you to get your hands, spark-plug spanner and plugs into.. Or bring a little monkey to do it.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , 16v , boxer , buying , sat