conversion from 1.6 twinspark to 156 2;tr twinspark engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bay of Plenty
conversion from 1.6 twinspark to 156 2;tr twinspark engine

Hi Am thinking of building up a racecar based on the 146 1.6 twinspark body but wondered if anyone has dropped a 2ltr 156 twin-spark engine into their 146. The 146 Ti 2ltr was a very rare beast with only about 15 examples sold in New Zealand, so thought I might build my own up using a 156 engine. Is there a website detailing any major changes that where necessary and any pitfalls to watch out for in this conversion.

Any advise gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

146 Junior

I did something similar,from 1.4l to 1.8l.(Plastic top)
The engine fits right in except for a small difference in a coolant pipe.(fixed with a piece of pipe)
The gearbox of the 156 wont fit but you can use the gearbox from a 155 or another 146.
You will also need to change the 2 to 1 piece of the exhaust,gear lever with tunnel,ecu,imobiliser,ignition lock and key,maf,2 pieces of air induction pipe and aircondition hoses.
The 2.0 also has larger front brakes but i didnt change mine so i dont know what you need.

The rest of the exhaust,air induction,radiator,fuel pump etc are the same for all models.
Hope that helps.

P.S. If i could do it all over again i would go for the fiat coupe turbo solution

Last edited by Mystiv; 12-03-13 at 19:30. Reason: Forgot something
County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

No need for all that, if the car was a 1600(the 1400 was quite different),the 2ltr will fit the gearbox,all you need is the 2ltr ex downpipe to mate to the 2ltr ex manifold.
If the 146 is a cf1 then you need a virginised 2ltr ecu,but if it was a cf2 then you can map the ecu to upgrade,you could also use the 2ltr variable inlet manifold if you had one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

156 , 2tr , conversion , engine , twinspark