156 1.6 Manifold welding ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

Citroen xantia

Hmmm 156 1.6 Manifold welding ?

Hi All, I had the misfortune to hit my exhaust off a brick lying in the road and it made a terrible bang followed by a definite exhaust leak. On closer inspection it looked like it hit the exhaust upwards where it bends back under the engine just at the lower heat shield nuts. On closer inspection it looks like the cat is undamaged and the only leak appears to be where the manifold meets the head on the r/h/s ( looking fwd, beside the pulleys ) All the bolts are tight and no cracks are visable .Levering the manifold pipes doesn`t make it worse. The noise is not that bad. I suspect where the pipe is welded to the flange , the spot weld has broken. It`s just making some noise at that corner......no signs of a soot stain and the studs have not pulled.
The twin branch manifold looks like mild steel...I was expecting it to be cast iron.
Is it weldable with standard electric arc welding equipment and rods or would it need special rods ? ..............tks in advance ........Dannyboy.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
hi, you are in the 145 bit, however I would say there there are so many 156/147/146 engines about with snapped cambelts and big end failures it is easier to get a cheap manifold, they never go wrong.

Unless you hit a brick....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

156 , manifold , welding