Exhausts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

My car (Dec 1998 146ti) seems to have come over all boy racerish - a deep rumble started as I was sauntering through the roundabouts of Milton Keynes (as you do in an Alfa, naturally). On closer inspection, it seems that the back silencer is hanging solely by its little rubber thingy.
So, my question is this - what are my options for exhausts? Is it worth getting a stainless section for an S-reg 146 which may fall apart before it rusts? Are Powerflow and other such systems much cop, or again not worth the expenditure? I asked ATS for a quote inc. labour & VAT, and received a rather painful figure of 350. Those from buypartsby.co.uk, the alfaowner shop, etc seem to be getting on for 200.

Has anyone here installed a rear section themselves? Is it something I can do with a couple of axle stands and a can of plus gas?

Also, the rear silencer on my Alfa is large and square, which looks like the late type from the workshop manual. Does anyone know if that tallies with the car being made in December 1998? I also suspect it of fouling the rear suspension (knocks on cornering on bumps), which may or may not be explained by it being the wrong type for the year - I'll have to investigate things more closely when it's not dark outside!

Finally, I need to do some driving before I'll have a chance to fix the silencer - am I going to set fire to anything by removing the dangling back box altogether? (Fond memories of driving my Morris Minor with no exhaust system beyond the manifold. Vroom!

Sponsored Links
Re: Exhausts

I have a Powerflow on my V6. Workanship is very good and it emits a very low rumble at tickover and town driving. But boot it and it howls !!!!

Powerflow though are a bit hit and miss from other peoples reports on here. Some garages aren't as good as others at making them. Cost me 270 for a 2 box system cat back a year ago.
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Have a look at www.shop4parts.co.uk they do Alfa bits and seem quite reasonably priced.

I got a quote from a Kwik Fit type place before I changed mine and they said 160 fitted I think.

I eventually got a CSC Marmitte one for a very reasonable price and had it fitted for 20. It's lovely, just what I wanted, not boomy, just nice. Plus it's stainless steel, so it should last a fair while.

AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

I have just had a stainless box and connector put on my 155, from www.longlife.co.uk. It took them two and a half hours and they make it to measure the car perfectly. Mine is lowered and the DTM supersprint box i had on it before used to scoop up the speed bumps and cause me all sorts of spine shivers as i was waiting for it to drop off as indeed it did on two occasions!! With the new system i havent had a scrape once. I had a choice of standard, mid sports or full sports for sound (i opted for mid sports and it sounds lovely) I also had a choice of about thirty different pipe ends, so it really is a good place. I had mine done in Plymouth but they are nationwide and it cost me 297 as they have a no VAT deal at the mo. I was very pleased with the price as id been quoted 400 + VAT for mild steel.

Hope in some way this may help you!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Has anyone here installed a rear section themselves? Is it something I can do with a couple of axle stands and a can of plus gas?
The rear section isn't seperate from the middle box. It's all one system from the CAT back.
You can fit a rear box, but as the middle box is in unknown condition, you may be better advised in installing a full CAT-back system.

If I have miss-understoof you, and you are talking about a full system in the above question, then the answer is yes, you can do it at home quite easily.

I'll give you a run down:
Jack up the car on the passenger side and support using a minimum of two axle stands.
Undo the three bolts or the U-clamp holding the exhaust to the CAT.
Undo the handbrake cable support brackets (2) so that it drops clear of the exhaust.
Place a support object under the middle box.
Undo the rubber bush under the handbrake cables.
Undo the rubber bush retaining the middle box, and let the box drop onto the support object.
Undo the rubber bush holding the rear box to the boot base.
Drop rear box onto ground.
Pull the exhaust out from under the car ensuring that it does not place excessive strain on the handbrake cable.

Install is the reverse of removal!

Replace all bushes, they only cost a few shillings!
Use Halfords "Rubber lucricant" on the bushes to make life easy when installing them!
If you need an air-tight seal on the U-clamp, you can use some exhaust paste to seal it up.

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."
AO Member

I've just had a full cat-back exhaust put on my 1997 P 145 - it was a half an hour job done by The Alfa Workshop in Royston - about 45 minutes down the A507 from Milton Keynes.

Cost 178 all in - instead of the rusty back box I previously had, I now have a gleaming oval tail pipe - nice!!

If you want their contact details, let me know...

By the way, the A507 is a brilliant drive - you can have a real go at the new system and see how it sounds!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Or you could hoon it down the A5 to Aylesbury, another fantastic driving road, to Powerflow there. I've not used them so have no direct experience, but a mate has used them and was happy with their service. I also know quite a few people who have used the St Albans branch with good reports

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146