misfire and loss of power solved - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex
misfire and loss of power solved

great news.after blasting 145 cloey around suddenly lost power and felt like iwas in wrong gear.lamba brand new maf also so i was worried what was wrong...my mechanic put on diag and looked as if maf was playing up so we replaced that, still problems occured.after tipping loads of injector cleaner in tank still no joy.took off coil pack and found oil and water in sparks one and two.after mopping up took out sparks and ceramic on spark was cracked in pieces and fell off plug itself....changed all sparks and all is now welljust thought this story might help others to check the sparks as these can cause symptoms similar to sensor failure and save you replacing parts that may be ok,like mafs etc..by the way my sparks had only done 37000 and were buggered...suppose it depends on how you thrash yours
Sponsored Links
Assuming you have the 16v TS lump, the oil in the plug wells issue is well known.

Normally number 1 gets filled from people spilling oil when topping up. The rocker cover gaskets are also rubbish and can leak and let oil into the plug wells. A good clean and either a new gasket or some black/blue/red goo gasket stuff does the trick.

The plug probably fell apart with all the arcing against the wall. I ruined a set of coil packs and leads with this in one engine many years ago. All the arcing split the leads.
AO Platinum Member
Did you use the sexah NGK plugs, or cheapo/regular plugs.

The T/Spark plugs consist of a teeny platinum tipped jobbie and a twin-bladed plug which I think is not platinum tipped but they may be.. Anyway, they cost upwards of 80 a set (maybe 65 on ebay) so people do skimp...

Ralf S.
Yeah I normally get a set of the proper NGK's off t'bay for about 60. I normally buy them when I see them at that price, even if I don't need them

Oh...both are platinum tipped according to the boxes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

loss , misfire , power , solved