Water Pump Advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Water Pump Advice

Help, advice needed please!
I think the water pump on my 1996 145 QV is on it's way out.... any idea how much this is likely to cost to get fixed?

I understand that the cambelts need to come off to get it done; do I need to replace anything else while I'm at it? I had the belts and tensioners changed about 10K miles ago, the variator was changed 35K miles ago.

I'm thinking I should have any belts that are removed changed, leave the tensioners alone, maybe change the variator. Any comments? Looks like it's going to be hard cheese for timy Tim this Christmas
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Water Pump Advice

i've clocked about 89,000 miles. 3rd belt change on its way in. the water pump has never been changed, I understand it should be changed, regardless. One easy way to check if your water pump is functioning? pop the hood and see the lovely blue or red or whatever colour your coolant is, pumping vigourously into your reservior. dont do it unless you're doing your timing belt. change your cam variator as well. one time labour charge here. i reckon all belts an tensioners should be changed once and for all. its like resetting the clock, you'll have a tougher time keeping track of what and when.

if you feel temperature is a problem, check stuff like the cars thermostat, fan and radiator first.

1/5/94 6.40pm: Dr Maria Theresa Fiandri, pronounced Ayrton Senna dead. At the track, in the shattered remains of Senna's car, they discovered a furled Austrian flag Senna had intended to dedicate his 42nd grand prix victory to Ratzenberger's memory.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Re: Water Pump Advice

Thanks for the reply. The water pump is still pumping water around the engine (I'm not getting an overheating problem), but what made me worry about the pump was that I'm losing coolant, and I found coolant in the area around the water pump. I haven't yet had the opportunity to get my head under there with the engine running however, so I can't yet confirm that it's definitely the pump. I don't want to wait until I do the timing belt as that's not for another 2 years, and I'm worried that if the pump seizes, or moves excessively on it's bearings, that it'll take out the cambelt

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

advice , pump , water