Advice for replacing my exhaust... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Advice for replacing my exhaust...

My 145 has developed a blowing exhaust - a mechanic advised it was was on the way out at a recent service and MOT, and it is now getting progressively worse.

The garage quoted around 140 plus vat for the job - a replacement from the cat back. Is this a good quote or would other options be worth considering? As always, I have a few questions...

Is a private Alfa garage the best place to go or would Kwik Fit or similar do as good a job if they can get the parts ordered?

If the blood rushes to my head I'm considering another option - I have seen a lot of posts about Powerflow exhausts but these seem a bit boy racer for my liking. Can I really justify getting one of these fitted?

Are there any other options I could consider?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Remember, if you have to ask the price... you can't afford it.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Advice for replacing my exhaust...

165 (inc VAT) sounds pretty cheap compared to the 300 you'd expect for powerflow / longlife etc. It's probably worth getting a quote from Alfa as well, but I personally wouldn't go to kwikfit as I've had too many bad experiences with their trained monkeys. Getting a powerflow / longlife may be worth considering if you're keeping the car for a few years. If you do go down that route, make sure they keep the original bore size or you'll end up with a very loud exhaust, and reduced bottom end power (which isn't what you want on a twin spark!)
AO Silver Member
County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

I'd agree with Mave and comments on Powerflow, there is other companies around doing custom systems. So i'd compare for prices for a system. The price you have seems good though.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

I had a Longlife system made for my old 145. It's was LOUD even though I asked for a 'quiet' system. I took it back and they changed the mid silencer but it was still pretty loud and really boomy at 50-70. Although the system seemed to be very well built I would only recommend them if you can put up with the noise.

I will go for a standard system on my 156 when it needs replacing, probably from someone like (cheap!) and fit it myself.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 23-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

All done by The Alfa Workshop in Royston for 178 inc vat today - brilliant job and a good price!! The local dealer quoted c.300 inc vat...

As usual, thanks to everyone for their advice!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

advice , exhaust , replacing