Bumper mounting leg dood-dahs (and chocolate fasteners) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
Bumper mounting leg dood-dahs (and chocolate fasteners)

The '45 is pretty good for body corrosion, I suppose <steps around the hole in the floorpan> .. but the mounting legs that hold the front bumper to the front of each wheel arch look like they're made of paper mache!

I was trying to remove the bumper so I could swap the radiator (more also the disintegrating radiator mount) and this involves removing the bumper to get access to the radiator mount's bolts.

No bother, I thought.. a few bolts and off it slides.. but one bolt (front lower) just sheared straight off, even though it looked just a teeeny bit rusty.. and the mounting legs just started to twist and fall apart under the effort, rather than allowing the bolts there to come undone (or more likely, shear off). I gave up while they were still in one piece!

Now.. I can see that I'm going to have to go back in there some time and take the bumper off with whatever the consequences, otherwise it's going to fall off one day all on its own..

Has anyone rebuilt thos pesky legs? I can see it'll need a loooong bit of steel bent into a "U" shape with a captive nut welded in at the bottom to take the bumper bolt... but before I think about how I (actually who ) is going to do that, since the demise of Vince the "60-a-day" Body... is there a top-tip?

I'm hoping the whole assembly is a bolt-on part for instance, so I can just buy new ones, if they're not 200 each. And yes, I'll galvanise them before fitting (dunno why AR doesn't.. the 155 has the equally same weedy legs).

Also.. cheap fasteners... At the pointy end.. a bit more zinc wouldn't hurt, Mr Romeo!!

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Fife
The 156 has still has the same 'legs' as the the 145 and 155 so there is a pretty good chance they will be available to buy because they are bound to get wrecked by the slightest bump to the front.
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

146 ti ph2

i think ive heard before that the legs are the same as on the brava/bravo and that those ones dont tend to rust like on the 145's so check out a local breakers yard im not sure how the come of though might have to cut them of and weld them back on
AO Gold Member
145/6 and 155 support legs are welded on, whereas 156 ones are bolt on - so much easier to replace.....tho about 75 each......
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
That sounds promising. It'll have to be a job for later in the summer though, I think. I spent most of the weekend replacing the cam-belt and radiator and also tidying up some bits in the nose that were looking a bit scruffy.

The '56 legs sound like contenders if I can make them fit... since I'm not a welder and Vince the Body has passed away. I can use second hand ones, and they're going to be newer so likely to be in better nick than anything I chop off a '45/'55 anyway.

@ richard - I don't suppose you have a good pair lying around?

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

bumper , chocolate , dooddahs , fasteners , leg , mounting