Odd Scouring/bearing Type Noise 146 Boxer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146+164So Far!
Crazed Odd Scouring/bearing Type Noise 146 Boxer

My Wifes 1.6 146 Boxer is running great guns but has developed a rather loud noise from under the bonnet (in addittion to usual Boxer bag-o-bolt noises).

I haven't had a chance to look yet. Sounds like a scouring bearing type noise. I was wandering if the water pump bearings might be getting ready to quit.

Does anyone know if there is a regular culprit for this type of thing or do I need to start pulling belts off to diagnose it?

(And by me I mean the garage!).

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: Odd Scouring/bearing Type Noise 146 Boxer

These questions seem to crop up every so often... there are multiple sources for noise like this.

One could be the bearings for the water pump. These waterpump noises tend to either soften as then engine warms, or the inverse.
The belt tensioners may be worn. Many people replace the belts and fail to do the tensioners. There are two of them in the boxer 1.6 8v.
The powersteering pump is the final source, you may easily remove the pulley to diagnose this one, but it's not overly frequent.

After that, squeeling can occur from loosened nuts and bolts around the exhaust branches.

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , boxer , noise , odd , scouring or bearing , type