is it the wheel bearing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
is it the wheel bearing?

Update: probably not the bearing. See post #7

I've had a road speed related noise on the car since I bought it. It starts to hum above 40mph.
I thought it was from the front but recently I've been driving around with the rear seats down and the parcel shelf out and it sounds more rearward - rear passenger quarter I believe.

I fitted new rear tyres since I've owned it (made no difference to the noise) and it's also been through an MOT. I thought wheel bearings were part of the MOT?

There is also a knocking from that same rear quarter over some bumps. I thought this might be the exhaust but could that be wheel bearing?

Anyway, if I jack it up should I be able to grab the wheel and feel it rocking side to side if the bearing has gone?

Hmm.. far too many question marks in this post. Is that wrong?

Last edited by kfp; 20-02-11 at 13:10.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Wheel bearings are part of the test but an Mot tester will rarely pick up on a noisy one. If it has play in it it should be changed regardless of if it is noisy or not. However it can be noisy without having play. The only way to find out is to jack it up , rotate the wheel and listen. I often take the brake caliper off and feel for any roughness as I rotate the hub. Your knocking noise will be suspension related. Anti roll bar bushes and links are the most common culprits.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

as above. on my GTV i coldn't tell the bearing ahd gone until i removed the caliper and disc, and rotated the hub on it's own, then you could just about feel it. but it made one hell of a racket when you were driving. simple enough job to do too
County: Kanton Sarajevo

Member car:

145 1.9 JTD

..If the noise sounds like you are having a racing exhaust, or centrifugal washing machine in your trunk, it is definitely time to change the bearing!

Jack it up, rotate and listen...
thanks all. I didn't know a bearing could just be noisy but otherwise ok (ish). I'll have a look tomorrow.
AO Platinum Member
Aye! Titch (the Younger Mrs S.s Cinquecento) had a noisy hub but no play whatsoever. Passed the MOT until I got fed up with it (it really was that loud).. When I took the nut off it, the whole thing just fell apart..

Then I discovered that the new bearing was different and had to pack all those old ball bearings back in there... Somehow it all worked (was marginally quieter too).. Wheel bearings are most excellent mysterious things...

Ralf S.
Ta Ralf.

Update: finally had a look and after taking off the wheels and calipers the rear hubs turned as smooth as silk.

I am very confused.. which is quite normal really

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

bearing , wheel