New member - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Hi People,

I have just registered on this site and I look forward to contributing to what looks to be a very informative community.

I also look forward to hearing advice and suggestions from all of you...

I will start by making a confession.....I own a 146ti 2.0 TS, I bought it about 2 years ago albeit reluctantly. Long story short, a friend was having financial issues, so I stepped in. Anyway, about 3 months after purchase, on 68K km's, bye bye cambelt! The service manual says it needs to be replaced at 75K km's but in the Middle East they perform this operation at 65K, the previous owner failed to inform me of this and I sit with the screw up! Nice eh? Anyhow, the equivalent of 1K squid later, the job was done and she is still good at 90K km's to date, with reg services.
The problem is this, I have NO respect for this car and have negelected it although I enjoy driving it. Since getting rid of my regular wheels 6 months ago, I have been in her non-stop and I am getting serious guilt now as she has rescued me on many occasion, and I think she deserves to be looked after...(Her name used to be "Jealousy" because jealousy gets you nowhere, but I have changed her name to Romy now)

This is where you lot step in - > see where I am going with this??
For starters, the AR agents here are rip-off artists, used spares are as rare as rocking horse $h1t so I am going to tackle some probs on my own.

This dieseling sound you all refer to caused by the variator, Is it a big job? And how much might one expect to pay?

This car is now into 90K km's, and starting to smoke a bit, should I still use synthetic oils?? I am thinking of a thicker oil now...

That's it for now, look forward to your responses......

Thank you
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

146 18ts

Re: New member

Hello and welcome! if you do an AO seach on VARIATOR all will be revealed the good the bad and the I wish I had read this before I purchased that Bella. good luck!
AO Silver Member

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your Alfa, but I have to say that I think they do need to be looked after (just waiting for howls of protest from everyone else...) and you need to keep on top of the little problems to avoid them getting bigger They can use a bit of oil quite happily, but I don't think they should be smoking at 90K km (that's only about 60K miles!) unless the bores or valve guides are worn. I'm using synthetic (10w-60) quite happily at twice that mileage, and using about 0.5 litres every 1000 miles. If it is your variator which is going, I think I would be complaining to the people who rebuilt your top end for not doing it at the same time as rebuilding your top end; most of the cost involved is labour. Just a thought, is there a risk that the cam belt breakage caused valve guide damage which hasn't been fixed and is causing the oil smoke? Is it most noticeable if you lift off from high revs in a low gear?
Good luck

Thanks for the feedback people, always appreciated.

To be honest, with the engine rebuild I was in a position that I did not want to spend a fortune on getting the engine 'seen to' in it's entirety, I had intended to get it running so I could get rid of it! Normally I am the first person to get the trouble spots looked at while the engine is in pieces, preventative so to speak, and although the job was done by the agents, and all Alfa parts were used, I negotiated a 'quick fix' only do the necessary job. The smoking is usually most prominent at idle which leads me to believe that it is the valve stem seals or the guides, most likely damaged guides. Now the most emabarrasing: the sump has a small hole in it, so I have to top her up regularly so I cannot determine how much is being used through consumption. I can get a used sump fitted for about 80 pounds, just waiting for the part to become available.

I am now very keen to keep the little *****, so I will pay her some attention. She is a lot of fun to drive

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146