AO Platinum Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
It sounds like a shagged battery, no matter how old it is.
Get a voltmeter across the terminals. Anything less that 12.6V means the beast is flat. It may not be terminally flat.. so try charging it first.
If the car is used for short journeys you will lose battery charge, since it has to crank the engine (oil will be the consistency of wax), run the lights, the heater, heated rear window and wipers... and then you turn the engine off before it has had a chance to recoup the charge you've been using up.
If you run your battery in a permanently low-charged state, the acid will attack the plates.. your plates become thinner and more brittle (so could fracture and short-out the cell = game over) or the resulting lead phosphate will settle in the bottom of the battery cells and also eventually short them out. Normally these symptoms only affect old batteries though...
So.. charge the beast up for 10 hours and then try it again. If it goes flat again then you have to determine whether there is a current drain (you left the interior light on?) or if there's a charging issue (volts should read 14V with the engine at a fast idle)... or if the battery just can't hold its charge any more (some internal degradation which will lead to an eventual failure).
No bullets for Chaingun..