Racing engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Oxfordshire
Racing engine?

I wonder if some one can help me with a problem I am having with my alfa tspark 146 year 1998. The car is fantastic apart from one problem... When the car is running and say I am doing about 60 miles an hour the engine refs are very high above 3000 and touching 4000 at 70 miles per hour.. Also when the car is in traffic and stationary in neutral the rpms just keep on going up to 3000 and gradually comes down but stays around 1000 this is I am sure costing me much more in petrol than it should so what could be the problem..

I would grateful appreciate any help in this matter

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Austurland

Member car:

156 JTS

The engine RPM during cruising depends on the gear ratios. Relatively high revs at highway cruising is normal for these cars. It just depends on the nature of the engine and the gears. It also depends which engine you have. For example the 1.4 T.S. does very high revs at highway speeds!

Your unstable revs while idling can depend on a number of things. MAF, idle control valve, lambda sensor, leaks in the intake. There are many posts here on unstable idle so do a search and you'll surely find one that sounds like the very problem you have and go from there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

engine , racing