164 Running Costs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cheese 164 Running Costs

Hi Alfa Owners
I am in process of acquiring a mint Alfa 164 3.0 V6, I am going to ask the " how long is a .......... of string" question about servcing costs I have long been an admirer of Alfa as freind's have got A GTV and a 164, my only concern is up keep costs.
A freind of mine informed me he had hoses, performance brake discs and pads and didn't see much change out of 1k!!!!!!!!!.
This was at a mechanic in East London my concerns are that the average punter could quite easily get fleeced.
Any pointers would be helpful. Dil
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 164 Running Costs

My only advice would be not to buy an alfa if you're worried about costs. I don't think they're any less reliable than any other car but IME parts can be astronomical and repairs pretty labour intensive. Having said that, OEM Shocks for my 164 were quoted at 138 each, but with a bit of shopping around I was able to find some for 60 each, so you can get some discounts if you shop about.
AO Member
Re: 164 Running Costs

I should like to second the above advice. Only buy your 164 if you
are able to maintain it yourself. The cost of replacing the cam belt is about the value of the car.
A 164TS would be a much more economical proposition. Even then, check for a failing gearbox input bearing, front suspension bushes and bearings, steering rack, that the tyres are wearing evenly, hand brake operation and that all of the instument panel warning lights operate and extinguish when the ignition is switched on..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

164 , costs , running