Can't select reverse gear, caused by worn clutch? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 12-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Jihomoravský
Can't select reverse gear, caused by worn clutch?

Hi everybody
So my beautiful but somewhat capricious vehicle decided to play up on me a bit more today
After coming to pick her up from repairs after a seized crankshaft (story captured in another thread here), the technician wants to take me around for a test ride, starts up, engine hums nicely.... but can't put her into reverse gear When trying, the gears whine and crunch - the usual sound they make when you forget to depress the clutch pedal, except that now the pedal _is_ down. The forward gears seem ok - or at least without any loud grinding noise - just reverse is impossible to select.
The explanation, according to him, is that the clutch disc is worn and needs to be replaced, preferrably the whole clutch set. So I'm wondering:
First, does that make sense? I'd expect (being no expert on that matter, though) that when the disc is worn, the clutch will be slipping, not transferring the engine power to the gears well, but this looks like it is transferring the power _too_ well, not disengaging as it should be when the pedal is pressed. Or am I missing something?
Second, is replacing the clutch disc a difficult job to do at home? I've read the appropriate sections of the repair manual, and from that it seems pretty lengthy - is there some easier way? What do you think?
Thanks in advance

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

caused , clutch , gear , gearbox , reverse , select , worn