New Alfa 146 owner here! advice needed...
Hey folks, nice lil community you've got goin here!
I've just part/ex'd my mint BMW E30 Touring for a 1996 Alfa 146 Ti in Rosso Red (don't know if you're familiar with that colour, it is a rare sight after all;-). Nothing wrong with my old BM, it was just getting on a bit. Now being an arrogant BMW owner I was a bit dubious about "taking on" an alfa, with all the reliability issues, and rightfully so!
I'm only 18, and have always loved Alfas, and considering the 2.0 16vavle Alfa is somewhat of a performance car; group 14 insurance is just about manageable for me- so understandably I jumped at the prospect of owning an alfa.
The Alfa was up at £2200 at a dealer and I got £1700 for the Beemer, so for £500 I felt the part/ex was well worth it. I've bought a decent example, the service history is comprehensive, body wise she's stunning, and the paint is very bright less a few stone chips and a vandal scratch made by a key on the rear quarter. However I'm not so naive into thinking Alfa ownership will be trouble-free, and am already trying to amass the readies contemplating a service, which I suspect might be costly.
I've had the car 2 weeks and am immensely satisfied, everything about her makes me grin, and depending on the petrol situation- I'll find any excuse to drive her.
HOWEVER, a few niggling faults have occurred, and I suspect these might lead to more troublesome ones, hence the need for a service.
If you could give me some advice on solutions/costs on the following items I'd be grateful. Bare in mind the car has just hit 88k miles and had the cambelt change at 72k:
1) Diesel sounding on start-up (I've read about this in another post), how much will a new variator, fitted, cost me?
2) The injection light stays on sometimes and then extinguishes after a few mins after start-up. This morning the car started-up then died at idle, repeated this after several attempts, I had to keep the revs going otherwise she would just cut-out, this cured itself a few tries later however. I'm just wondering are these things related?
3) Temperature! What does your average 2.0 TS settle at? Mine seems to sit above half way which I think is a little extreme and creeps up in traffic.
Those are the major faults anyway.
Now for the niggles:
4) Illumination has gone from the heater panel, did relight itself by playing around with the controls, but not anymore, simple case of a blown fuse?
5) Speaker grilles fall off (dodgy Italian built quality I suspect- although I have been pleasantly surprised by the overall fit and finish)
6) Annoying rattle at the rear, although it appears to be coming from the boot area and not the parcel shelf, I was convinced it was the CD changer and so removed it.... the rattle is still there!
7) The windscreen wipers are god-awful, I will never understand the speed settings, there's far too many controls on the column stalks, and while I'm at it the pedals are set too closely together (give me a solution for that one!!)
Other than that she's sweet! Any advice on maintenance would also be very helpful!
Thanks in advance,
Last edited by AlexB; 18-04-04 at 23:26.