146 1.4TS, upgrade to 156 2.5 V6 - thoughts? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 08-04-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

146 1.4TS, upgrade to 156 2.5 V6 - thoughts?

Hi All,

I've a '00 146 1.4TS and I love it... but I find it a little bit slow. I've discovered I can get insured on a 156 2.5 V6 for pretty much the same premium (seems they load alfas in general, but aren't bothered with the engine size!) Going to test drive a V6 tomorrow

Cons I can see so far are it will cost me a little bit to upgrade unless I get an older or higher mileage model than I have now. Also road tax is eur1,400 per annum (but I'm ignoring that for now!)

Pros are I get a bigger more comfortable car, a lot more power, leather and air-con (usually). Also I have a suspicion my variator is on the way out so wouldn't mind seeing the 146 off in a trade-in...

Have people any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not? Anyone have experience of the 156 V6 as regards performance and reliability? Will probably be looking at a car with ~50k on the clock.

Finally, what do you think I should get for a '00 146 1.4 with 33k on the clock? It's very clean but needs a service (and possibly a variator swap and belt change..)

Thanks in advance folks,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: 146 1.4TS, upgrade to 156 2.5 V6 - thoughts?

That would be a super move to be honest, but it depends on some major things.
Firstly, the 156's are going very cheap in BuyAndSell, I saw a similar spec 98 V6 car for 6k. The one thing to look out for on 156's, especially the 98/99 models, is the selespeed gearbox issues.
Also, look out for models that may have broken cam-belts, and had a el-cheapo fix done on them.
Now, I am not saying that the car won't be a bad one if this has happened, it may provide you with a lever to reduce the price.

Look at this for a laugh:
"Alfa Romeo 156 1.8. Silver, mint cond, e/w, e/sr, alarm, c/l, clean car
inside & out, first to see will buy, Price: 4,350 Contact: 0872988990."

That's a lot of car for 4.3k!

Here's a 2.5...
"ALFA ROMEO 156 00. 2.5V6, black, black leather, 48k miles, alloys, body kit, gull ring spoiler, alarm, sun roof, e/w, air cond, alloys, CD, 11,950. P "

Insist on a FSH <full-stop>!

In relation to the 146, the 00's are going for anything from 4.6k to 7.7k:
"Alfa Romeo 146 1.4TS '00. Silver, 26k mls, CD, sports model, Price: 7,750 Contact: 087-2977542."

If you haven't done the belts/variator, I would expect to drop about ~1k from the price...

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , 14ts , 156 , thoughts , upgrade