Any advice from savvy 145 owners? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Any advice from savvy 145 owners?

The hunt for a decent, non-citrous and affordable 145QV continues ...

Came across a 1999 QV (pre-facelift) with 58k on the clock and a suspiciously low price. Log book records it has having had 4 owners since registered in April 99, the first being a company car for a small magazine (15months); the second being a private citizen (2 and 1/2 years); the third being a garage (6 months); the fourth being another Joe Soap (6 months), who seems to have bought it from the garage recorded as owner no. 3. Service history book is complete, though AR servicing was not provided: independent garages were used from day one. Beyond the service stamp (date and miles), there were no receipts for work, repairs etc. Gave it a good look over and took it for a drive and here's the low-down:
1) Needs at least two replacement tyres, though probably all four, and the rear discs were heavily scored, whilst the fronts seemed OK(ish). Brake operation in driving was not impressive, they felt heavy, a bit 'soggy' and slow. (==> Tyres, discs and pads alround?)
2) Bodywork was fine, a very minor scrape on lr wheelarch, and appeared straight, with no obviously bad joins.
3) E/Ws: Driver worked (slowly!) but passenger was super slow and sticking on close. (==> Silicone treatment or Motor?)
4) No record of timing belt change, so that (with variator?) would be necessary too, and urgent given 58k on the clock.
5) Clutch & Gears: Like driving a truck. No slipping, but super heavy clutch pedal and heavy clunky gear changes. (New Clutch? or Cable?)
6) Exhaust: Couldn't tell whilst on ground but to judge by inspectable bits of rear box seemed OK.
7) Engine Bay: Manky battery, no obvious oil leaks, but not exactly confidence inspiring. Couldn't see radiator condition.
8) FL bushes noise audible.
9) Click/crack noise on opening passenger door. (hinges, spring issue?)
10) No Master Key.
As they say, other than that it seemed fine! (didn't try out the wipers, or check the bootspace, though)

OK, heres the Q: Given this spec, this condition, and this (knowable) work schedule, what (if anything) would someone be willing to pay to acquire this? (I'll remain Mum on the issue of asking price until I here some guesstimates.)

How low would the price have to be before you'd dip into your pocket to give this specimen a new and more loving home?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Re: Any advice from savvy 145 owners?

The brakes are not great at the best of times, but my guess is that (1) and (5) are related, as (5) is not normal. It's a hydraulic clutch, and it's a combined master cylinder for brakes and clutch.
(4) wants doing for peace of mind.
(2, 3, 6, 7) is up to you.
(8) is common - front bottom arms FUBAR after 20,000 miles.
(9) is common too - door check strap.
(10) is common as well, but a major worry.

If they had the master key, I'd pay no more than 1,750, knowing that I probably had to spend 1,000+ on it to sort it.

BUT, unless you can sort out (10), the car is not worth having regardless of how cheap it is.
AO Member

Member car:

It sounds as though the current owner has added up the cost of all the bits and decided it would be easier and cheaper to sell it than repair it. At a guess it would be possible to spend 2500 fixing the bits you've mentioned (including the missing key), and if the exhaust is original and ok at the moment, it might not be soon
What would the seller say if you asked him to fix the problems before the sale - based on a 'book' good condition selling price? (let's guess...).

The seller initially drew me out to view the car on the basis of a 2600 price tag, a description as "excellent condition", and telling me on the phone when questioned about belt changes etc, that "all that has been done." When I commented on the clutch, brake discs, belt change etc, he told me he'd take 2000 flat for it. He said he could arrange for the belts to be done by some contact he had (former machanic in AR dealer), and that his contact could do it for 200 (!!). The problem with asking him to do the repair work prior to purchase is that you give him an incentive to do the minimum on the cheap to maximise his profit margin, and therefore you don't even know what you'll end up with (remould tyres, second hand discs, et al.). Shame really, and to think this specimen handed even reached its 5th birthday!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , advice , owners , savvy