Fuel Consumption up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel Consumption up

I've noticed over the past few weeks that my fuel consumption has gone up dramaticly (330 miles to a tank down to 290 miles). I have been driving the sames routes week after week, so its not because I'm suddenly doing a lot of city driving or driving it harder or anything. Water temp. sensor was replaced about 3 months ago and lambda sensor replaced about 1 month ago. After the lambda sensor was replaced the car ran perfectly for a few weeks and now this.

Also, it seems kind of jerky, for example :- driving to work in traffic trying to keep at 20mph, cars speed up slightly so I put my foot down slightly more to speed up with them and the car sort of jerks forwards as it accelerates. Get something similar when slowing down as well, when I take my foot off the accelerator the car sort of jerks and hops and is slows down (not as severe as bunny hopping when learning to drive).

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Fuel Consumption up

your lucky, i get 260 miles out of a full tank, and thats mainly rural/motorway!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Air flow meter?

Also try cleaning the throttle body - it gets gunked up and the flap can become sticky to move.

Where does the airflow meter live? Is it the thing on the pipe between the air filter and throttle?

Also, how easy is cleaning the throttle body? Can it be done where it is or does it need taking out / dismantling?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

The throttle body is easy to clean out, you just need to take the intake pipe between the airbox and thhrottle body off. Only thing I would watch out for is that if your car has the later type of idle actuator, do not disconnect or eemove this. It's a small stepper motor on the rear sid eof the throttle body and controls the throttle butterfly to ensure a stable idle. When I disconnected mine ('99 2.0TS) the engine then ticked over at 2500rpm. Had to have the ECU reset.

It made a huge difference when I cleaned mine out, all the hesitancy and jerkiness went.

BTW, I get 300-330 on a tank of fuel (Optimax normally).
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

Also check breather pipes for cracks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

consumption , fuel