still got streering issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 146

still got streering issues

so a couple of weeks ago i said after changing break discs/pads and changing my back wheels with the fronts my steering wheel sat slightly to the right and the car veered right. after advice to put a few miles on the breaks it seemed to improve. however it did the same so i took it to kwick fit. they checked tracking and said that was spot on. they balanced the wheels and put them back to there origional position prior to disc change. now the steering wheel sits slightly to the left and the car steers slighlty to the left. i then took it to these guys:

Nottingham Car Four Wheel Alignment Ltd

they said the rear wheels were ok and slightly aligned the front. however it is still the same. i took it back and they said the alignment on the front was spot on.the tyers have no odd wear and are evenly worn. how do i identify the problem?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Can you see the track rod adjusters? Is there loads of thread left on one side and not the other? I suspect that at some point the tracking has been done with the wheel slightly askew. Might be worth getting someone to redo the tracking, but with the wheel held central?
146 as a run around?

Last edited by kfp; 13-06-10 at 17:58. Reason: oops.. didn't mean to reply
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

It's obvious that the tyre's that were on the front have worn to how the tracking was set up, so you stick them on the rear and the rear starts tracking to follow the way the tyre's have worn..a bit like rear steering.
Thw only real solution if the alignment is spot on is to fit new rubber.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 13-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 146

Thw only real solution if the alignment is spot on is to fit new rubber.[/QUOTE]

i think you may be right. if i change my front wheels over from right to left i get the opposite affect. i.e its steers to the right and the steering wheel hangs to the right. i guess this would not happen if it was a tracking issue (or track rod ends).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

issues , streering