Fluctuating idle speed/high idle speed 145 1.8 t-spark - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 146

(it might be some sort of control valve in the exhaust side of the engine near the exhaust manifold.)

if this is the stepper motor (idle control valve) then its best to get a new one fitted and calibrated. by putting a used one in chances are that it may fail shortley.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 28 Old 09-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Tried the ECU reset procedure following the link you put up. Amazing! Car is much more responsive - actually FEELS like 140 BHP now. In my VIDEO GAME (nudge nudge wink wink) had a race off a roundabout down the A24 with a Golf 2.0 tdi - left him in the mirrors up to about 90mph, but got overhauled at about 110mph. Never mind, p**s*d all over him on the next roundabout and lost him completely down the lanes. What a happy bunny I am! (Obviously I don't really drive at those illegal speeds and I'm talking about a video game..ahem ahem)....
Still got the high idle speed though, so will give it to the Alfa dude to sort out before the part fails completely.
Thanks for all the help and advice.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 TBi ti

Sounds like he's referring to the stepper motor that does the idle control. Common failure also.

Originally Posted by paulspain100 View Post
When I turned up, he was tuning the carbs on an old 33 cloverleaf with a screwdriver, pressed to the engine block at one end and to his ear at the other....haven't seen that for donkeys years, but my old mechanic when I had a 33 myself used to do the same to great effect and it used to come out of his workshop like a new car. All computers now though, not the same is it?
Careful, I happen to like computers in cars. Vast improvident with electronic ignition and injection. And it's no harder to work on, just a different skill-set.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , fluctuating , idle , speed , speed or high , tspark