Bag of old nails - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 24-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Flintshire
Bag of old nails

I had an issue with a 145(does this sound familiar)due to exessive wear on one lobe of a camshaft.Now at that time I believed that the problem was as a result of having skimmed too much material off the head,and that was because I had had overheating problems with the thing(don't go just yet) and the overheating was attributed to the cyl head bolts relaxing resulting in three out of four cyl occasionally blowing into the water jacket .

So now at this point I needed another head because apart from the wear on the cam I couldn't pass the MOT due to excessive carbon monoxide at Idle. Oh yes and the warning light kept making an appearance

Enter the new head
This head I also skimmed although I only took off, half a thou,I then duely re ground the valves,re cut the seats and lapped them in,Viola.

I set the crank to TDC,fastened the setting blocks down on the cams(having replaced the ex cam)torqued the head bolts,fitted the new cam belt, tensioned it put everything else back together and started her up and IT SOUNDS LIKE A FU***NG BAG OF NAILS and worst of all, Its absolutely gutless. I even went as far as checking my setting blocks against those of the local agent.Iv'e torn it down yet again and the timing is SPOT ON Are there any ideas out there---Please

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

bag , nails