This forum is really great, but of course it's as good as the members replying to issues.
I can finally report back that my issue has been resolved and all new keys are now working with the replacement code box that Barry has prepared and supplied to me (tanks Tony for that).
Great help also from GialloEvo94 to help me locate the culprit and his knowledge of the Italian car electrics (stuffy stuff with a few tricks) and last to Minirib who's knowledge in hex codes is unsurpassed.
To sum up the story:
- Car mechanic broke my working key in lock in December 09
- Workshop could not deliver working keys cut to fit (4 keys programmed into code box but mechanically compromised)
- Decided to change all locks in April 2010
- New working keys rejected in programming into code box - operations with master key only.
- Forum assists with solution to swap code box with pre-programmed key codes.
- Postal delivery takes more than 4 weeks - package arrives 14 June
- Swap code box and read in working keys - all fine now -
Tony, will return the "old" code box to you, you might read out the codes for final analysis to see what went wrong. I suspect too many key codes read into system to saturate capacity - to be confirmed.
What AR has to say to the issue:
I managed to speak to an AR mechanic in RSA (1500kms south) and he says that they can "virginise" the code box and read in new key code sets with the help of the tester connected to the 3 pin plug in the car. They apparently need the vehicle, master key and working keys in their workshop for the task.
I did not follow on this option as it would have meant to drive about 3000 kms from where I am - but good to know that they think they could do it as well.
Hey guys - big thanks to all of you - great company on this forum