series - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

can someone tell me what the difference is between a series 1 and series 2 alfa 145
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Pre-facelift '94-'98

Facelift - '98 - '00

Wheels are different, bumpers, grill, engines (Alloy top and plastic top however some plastic tops can be found in the pre-facelift '98's.) The clocks are different with the silver rings around them and then a few other little bits and bobs.
The facelift looks smoother as the bumpers are colour coded and the grill only has 1 slot in other than about 4.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Also, between the '96 QV and '97 QVs, early '97 they have different exhaust set-ups, a clamp on cat from '97 onwards and bolt on pre '97. Also the ECU's are slightly different with a few sensor changes such as the coolant sensor.

So bassically you have the

MK 1 Pre-facelift '94 - '96
MK 1.1 Pre-facelift '97 - '98 with the ECU changes and exhaust set-up change
MK 1.2 Pre-facelift '98 - Fitted with the plastic top engine
MK 2 - Facelift '98 - '00

Thats the way i understand it anyway.
AO Platinum Member
Series 1 was the original replacement for the 33. In the UK it had 1.6 and 1.7ltr 16v Boxer engines. I think there was also a 1.3 on the Continent.

Series 2 ("Gamma" in AR speaks) phased out the Boxer engines and introduced the Twin-Spark engines. It came with a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0ltr 16v donkey.. again, in Europe and elsewhere there was also a 1.4.

The "Facelift" version (in case that's the one you mean) had re-styled bumpers and front grille and introduced emissions improved versions of the same engines. The bumpers were more curved and largely painted, instead of having the black unpainted section. The grille had less slats in it.

In Europe the facelift also introduced a new dashboard with better materals and round air vents like the GTV, rather than the slatted vents. However, they didn't introduce the new dash' in the UK as it was quite an expensive bit of work and presumably not worth the effort for the small number of RHD sales. .. which is a pity as arguably the interior quality was probably the 145/6's weakest area.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146