help/advice for 145 gear stick problem ugently needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-09 Thread Starter
County: Swansea

Member car:

1999 145 TS 1.6

help/advice for 145 gear stick problem ugently needed

hi all,

i've recently spent 450 on having the clutch replaced on my 145 (-99, 1.6 TS), only to immediately after suffer another problem that is making the car undriveable
i don't know if this other problem has been caused somehow by damage made by the garage that replaced the clutch.

what is happening now is that a part that links the gear stick to the gear box is damaged in a way that makes the gear stick just wobble all over the place and making it impossible to put the car in 1st and 2nd gear. according to the garage, the part that i need is the one with part no. 46478537 in the following diagram (the part that goes from the gear lever assembly and it includes the two cables):

this part is 210 new though although i may be able to source it 2nd hand off a local breaker that has a few of these parts off alfas but need me to bring in mine so they can match it.

supposedly, this part includes the bits indicated in the photos (i've circled problem area blue in first photo) attached with this thread that illustrates what is causing the problem. what is happening is that the ball-and-joint bit shown in the photos are slipping significantly. i think there should possibly be a pin that holds the ball-and-joint together as well and i think that might be part of the problem. there's also a small circular piece of plastic that sits in between ball-and-joint that in my setup is crumbling apart. looking at the photo, it also looks to me though as if the male and female parts are way too far apart, which doesn't really make sense to me
if anyone on here has experienced this problem or has any insight into it, i would really appreciate any help and advice!!

this has all happened at the worst possible time for me as i'm just about to emigrate abroad and have a sh*tload of other stuff i need to sort. just sold all my tools just before this happened
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circled.jpg (33.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.4 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
450 To convert it to the 147 linkage would cost 100 in parts for the whole stick and cables setup and is easily done, but your problem is that the little bush (pt# 46470897 0.71) that lives in the bellcrank (that triangular plate we can see the edge of) has poped off an probably vanished, BECAUSE the circlip (pt# 11088076) that goes on the l/h side of the shaft which goes through the tube like looking bit has vamooshed allowing said shaft to slide over enabling the bellcrank to disengage from the gearstick arm.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 08-11-09 Thread Starter
County: Swansea

Member car:

1999 145 TS 1.6

Many thanks for that info Smaky. Am I correct then that part no. 46478537 (I have included link to diagram again at bottom of this message as link in last post not working) wouldn't actually sort this problem then? Would I be better off just getting the whole 147 stick and able arrangement? I take it 100 is getting hold of it second hand from a breakers rather than new Alfa part?
You say that it's easily done but according to the garage there's a fair bit of work involved in getting to this, including potentially having to disconnect exhaust to gain access, or is that incorrect?

AO Gold Member
Hadn't thought of replacing with 147 - but having seen that picture it does look a lot like the 147 set-up. I think what Smaky is saying is that all you need is a "cheaper than a 1" bush if it has gone missing, then the crank and ball-joint re-engaging, and the cross shaft securing with a circlip.....sounds like a pretty cheap fix

To test this I'd just clamp the ball back into the joint with a pair of pliers or grips, and see if that gets you your gears back......Its a heck of a lot easier than replacing the gear lever assembly completely, because that does require the full underbody shield removing, which does really mean moving the exhaust.....

Good luck

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , gear , help or advice , needed , problem , stick , ugently