Tempted by a 145 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Tempted by a 145

I stumbled across the forum looking into GTVs, but I've more or less had to concede that the coupess aren't practical enough for my requirements. Then the other day I passed a bright red 145 and it got me thinking that there might be another Alfa option!

I gather the rears seats fold (this is a major requirement for me in order to ferry bikes around) and you can get toys like AC and leather, which should make the long distance motorway trips I do rather more comfortable. So it sounds like quite a contender...

I wondered if I could ask a few questions:

* What's reliability like? (Don't worry, I don't subscribe to the Alfa stereotypes...)
* What's parts availability like?
* Are minor jobs (basic servicing etc) reasonably easy to do yourself?
* What sort of MPG can you get out of a 2.0 TS?
* How quiet/comfortable are they on a motorway cruise?
* Has anyone owned similar '90s hatches (306 GTi6 maybe?) to offer a comparison on the handling?

Finally if there's anyone in the North London or Herts area you'd like to show theirs off to a prospective Alfa owner I'm all eyes.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Austurland

Member car:

156 JTS

What is the year model and mileage on this car that you saw.
You have to take into account that if it's about 10 years old, there will be random parts failing and wanting attention every now and then..that's from my experience.

The reliability is not as bad as they make it sound like..after all..cars need love

Parts availability on eBay is pretty good.

Minor or major jobs depends on your own skills and your facility. I've never gone further than changing the plugs, and repairing the headlight. I also did the wiring for an amp which is a lot of interior work.

Mileage is not exactly to brag about..I get about 9l/100km out of my 1.4 TS although the papers say 7.9.

Driveability is awesome with a agile and sporty feeling. High speed cruising is pretty loud, but the car feels good. The interior is comfortable and seats are supportive.

Just remember that the most important thing about getting a used car is its service history and how it's been taken care of. An older car with good service history is much better than one with low mileage and neglected care.

Hope this helps.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

On the driveability aspect, i've owned a volvo 1.9td s40 which was supposed to be great for motor way driving and in all honesty I prefer my cloverleaf. Response at 70mph is lovely and means you can perform overtakes quickly and easily in 5th gear without having to change down. Not particularly loud. Main issue is there's no cruise control which is one thing I miss!

Parking is an issue with the cloverleaf as it's got a terrible turning circle!
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
a 145 is not my first choice for the motorway, they are noisy, choppy ride, and a potentially awkward driving position, so having owned a 145 for 6 years imagine my surprise when I took it on a 140 mile motorway journey (with the seats down for added noise) and it coped really well. I was amazed, it is great for short, life affirming blasts but I was genuinly amazed at how well it went on the motorway. It then attacked the Welsh bends with relish once let off the leash.

A great driving day, when a crap one was expected.

Parts are readily available, ebay for 2nd hand and new parts are basically out of the Fiat/Alfa parts bin with several parts shared with 155s, Tipos, 156s etc

Choose wisely and you will love it, and do not overlook the 146, a bit more practical with a bigger load area and it has stealth on its side
What purple said basically. They are a great car but bring someone along that knows Alfas esp the 146/5 range tey have their own lil fobbiles.
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
on my 2.0 Cloverleaf Plastic top engine I get upto 40mpg! im very impressed with that!!!
AO Member
County: UK

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4 JTD

Mileage: you'll get 400 miles/tank when driving on motorway within speed limits (about 38mpg) - I've done it. You can also get a lot less, if you put your foot down - I've done that too, lol

quiet/comfortable: well, my TI's isn't the most comfortable car but it's ok for 2-3 hour m-way drive. I love driving so I don't really care much and might be overlooking this point.

oh yes, crap turning circle

handling is just... great!!!
one of the best things is that you'll be driving @ 70mph (around 3500 rpm) knowing that all the power is still there, waiting for you to floor it!! Fab! Pick a reason (you got a call and need to get to your destination earlier, you wanna check the exhaust note or you simply wanna overtake that german car) and just floor it! FAB!
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I'd say reliable if looked after well. Change oil regularly and the engine should be fine. Cambelt changes are due every 36k

PArts availability:

Fine, you can get lots of parts online.

Afraid I cant answer this as Im not mechanically minded in the slightest

At 70/80 they are fine, the engine revs hard at motorway speeds so it can get a little noisy at anything over 90mph. (FYI - 90MPH is 4500 RPM, 100mph is 5000 RPM etc)

Fine . I drove mine to Alicante (1400 miles) in one hit earlier in the year. I had a slight neck ache but felt totally fine. Bare in mind I was driving for 19 hours, cruising at 100MPH +. These cars are really built for the open road!!

Great fun! very chuckable. They do however have quite a bit of body roll, I plan to updgrade shocks and springs next year to resolve this.

ONe thing, if yo get a 145, I'd recommend a cone filter, they make the TS engine sound amazing!
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Just thought I'd add, im into off road cycling. I regularly have my bike in the back of the car.

I used to fold the back seats down and lie it flat, now I just take the bike apart and lie the frame and wheels on the back seat (obviously put some tarpaulin or a sheet down first so you don't mark the seats )
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

I do about 200 miles on the average weekend and I've seen well above 35mpg. (If anyone cares to work this out) from a full tank, using 99ron fuel I managed to do 120 miles on 1/8th of a tank. Mines lowered on H&R springs and adjustable dampers so body roll is slim to none at the best of times, got a K&N filter and a supersprint exhaust, and that was coasting along between 70-80 with one minor blast to about 110 out of sheer boredome. (Motorway at night... in errrm... Germany I swear officer ) I would highly recomend one to a friend.

No major dramas have happened to me that could have been avoided. I love it!
AO Silver Member
County: Falkirk
I've owned a few 90s hot hatches in my time and back then also had a 1998 145 Junior. It was only a 1.6 TS engine in that so was down on power compared to what I was used to but it was a great handling car. The only things I remember as being a niggle with me were the slightly high driving position (fine though, once you get used to it) and the large turning circle which made tight-spot parking a tactical operation (trade off for the great steering when on the move).

I've owned a couple of Mk2 Golf GTi's (8v and 16v), 2 Mk3 Golf GTi's (both 8v), Peugeot 306 Rallye and a couple of Corrados. Out of them all the Mk2 GTi 8v was probably my favourite but the 145 is a much more refined car so it's hard to compare. The Mk3 Golf would be from the same era I guess but it isn't a patch on the 145 in terms of handling and general satisfaction of ownership. The Peugeot handled well and was fast but it never felt as good to own as the Alfa. I suppose it's about the whole package really and how it makes you feel.

Just get a late 145 CL with leather and air con and enjoy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , tempted