Stubborn Track Rod End - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 1.6TS Junior

Stubborn Track Rod End

I am in the process of trying to replace the nearside track rod end on my 1.6 TS Junior but have run into the problem of the locking nut that appears to be firmly corroded in place.

I have WD40'd it, I have used Vise grips, applied a bit of heat (maybe not enough) but the dang thing won't budge. Do I get a nut splitter or cold chisel on to it or attack it with the Dremel? Has anyone had this hassle and how did you get round it?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Use more heat so it starts to glow red. Just be careful not to melt the rubber boot on the ball joint but it should be far enouh away not to be affecgted. If worried, wrap a cold wet rag around it. With enough heat applied the nut *should* then expand enough on the thread to break the corrosion "weld". Make sure you use a really good tight fitting spanner so you don't risk rounding off the corners of the nut and one with a long handle would also be best so you can get a lot of leverege on it.

I won't be posting on this forum any more. If you want to know why and/or you want answers to some 145/146 related questions then please feel free to pop over to and post on the forum where you will find me with the same member name.

I have now disabled all my private messaging options on here but you can PM me over on the forum if you need to.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

So you know aswell, most garages (kwik fit etc) have to get the tourch on most cars that they track, had to do it all of mine!

Like GE says, Cherry red.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 1.6TS Junior

GE & Langers
Thanks for that - I will get the blowtorch out but may have to get a new 22 spanner that fits a bit better & give it a go.

I think that the ball joint is cream crackered and so it won't matter too much if the boot melts - I may do the rag thing on the track rod as I would hate to fry the gaiter onto the rack!

Probably have to be next weekend now, ah well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

end , rod , stubborn , track