Please help me (i'm stuck in a 3rd world country and no-one cares) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-12-08 Thread Starter
County: Gauteng
Cry Like A Baby Please help me (i'm stuck in a 3rd world country and no-one cares)

Greeting and Salutations to all Alfa Ownlers around the Globe.

I need help. (I'm 19 and a student and have no money, but thats not the problem) My problem is my beautiful 146 died.

So anyway i was driving home on the highway one afternoon just cruising along at 140kph (maby 150 i'm not sure ) went everything died, i lost all power, engine cut out and would not restart. So i got towed to the garage, they checked everythng out and determined i cracked a cilinder (i think) but they can fix it (i africa you can fix anything with enough duct-tape ). So they worked on it, called me back and said it's fixed. (On a side note, that little light indicating "THE CAR IS OVERHEATING STOP NOW OR FOREVER BE WITHOUT YOUR ENGINE" was not on and the oil temp was normal but they said it overheated ) I got there and they started it to show me they fixed it... and the raidiator blew up (the duct-tape did not work ). Searched for approxamately 3 weeks for a replacement engine (2nd hand of course i'm a student, i have no money... you get the idea). I was so happy i found one, and then i saw the price ... R15000.00 That's about 1090 Euro's or 1043 GBP or 385986141 Zimbabwe Dollars (that last one is not so important).

I would like to know is there any other engine (preferebly 2.0L or 2.5L) that fits inside a 146 without new engine mountings or a different Gearbox ( i love the 146 gearbox) or the engine's that are the easiest to fit with minimal changes required (but if it need a new greabox so be it).

Thnak you for listing to my sob story and i hope you guys (and girls) can help.
PS: there is no duct-tape, it was a lie.... i'm sorry.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Please help me (i'm stuck in a 3rd world country and no-one cares)

Hello and welcome.: Sorry to hear about your problems.: Someone will be able to make a suggestion I'm sure.:
County: Wiltshire
Re: Please help me (i'm stuck in a 3rd world country and no-one cares)

I suspect it did not overheat and with the age of the car the radiator is due now anyway, the main culprit for an engine to just cut out is the Crank timing sensor, and when the engine has cooled down it would start again, did you try that? if that was the case and it did start after it cooled then it was definately the crank sensor, if it had cooked itself your temp gauge would have been over 100'C and the light WOULD have been on, and yes if it hit 104'C it would shut down, but you'd have warnings with it, unfortunately you seem to think a new engine is in order, but you should try and find out if the water pump is OK, if not then get the belts changed at the same time, it's all part of the water pump job anyway so there will be no more labour on it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

3rd , cares , country , stuck , world