Battery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-11-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 145

Help Battery

Hi guys, I have a 145 twin spark which is only used occasionally, (average twice a week on short journeys) and I am finding the cranking is sluggish bcause of this when starting from cold.

I had a new battery (45ah) plus an alternator fitted last year and therfore the charging rate is ok and there is no apparant currant drain. I have been advised by the local Alfa dealer not to use the alarm system under these conditions (lack of use) and to use the key to lock the door manually.

I also have a CD/Radio which has a number of led indicators behind the removable panel which I believe are on at all times which may be contributing to battery drain plus not sure if 45AH battery suitable under lack of use conditions. I would also like to wire the radio from the ignition/park position so that the 12 volt supply is not permanently on - anyone with any thoughts on this please.

Terry Nagel
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Re: Battery

The short journeys could be the problem. There is a school of thought that says you need 7km of driving to recharge the charge used to crank the engine in the 1st place.

LED's use 10mA with a voltage drop of 1.7V = 0.017W. A deep cycle battery could be a better bet - their internal resistance are less so they operate better (compared) on low charge levels.
County: Wiltshire
Re: Battery

45Ah seems very low, who advised you to get that one? I'd go with at least a 65Ah. You need to get it out on a long run too to clear the fuel and exhaust systems out, they'll be suffering from carbon build up if you only ever do short runs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146