stainless steel ehaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-11-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 145

Help stainless steel ehaust

Hi guys, Approx 12 months ago, when my steel exhaust reached it's sell by date on my 145 twin spark, I was advised by the local exhaust centre to fit a stainless steel exhaust system which carries a lifetime guarantee. However, after the new stainless steel system was fitted, I realised the exhaust tone was a lot louder (some would say sportier) but I found the noise was to my mind, excessive.

I complained to the exhaust centre about this but they said I should give it some time to build up some carbon in the system and it should quiet down and although it has quietened, it is still noisy especially when accelerating up an incline.

I wonder if any other members have experience of this type of exhaust system (stainless steel).

terry nagel:
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: stainless steel ehaust

It should quieten down a little (maybe 6 months? Mine did, or maybe I got used to it!) but it was never as quiet as the OEM exhaust.
County: Wiltshire

Different materials resonate .... differently, but normally a stainless system has a larger bore to it andit's the lower note this generates that makes it sound to the ear that it's louder, but your probably right it is louder and no ammount of "carbon build-up" (what a load of 80110X) will ever quieten it down.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng

Agreed - it will not quieten down - I also have a stainless steel exhaust - now nearly 2 years if anything I think its slightly louder than at first.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

ehaust , stainless , steel