145 Stalling!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 T-Spark

Help 145 Stalling!!!

Hi Guys,

I need some help....
My 145 T-Spark keeps stalling (Not my driving before you ask!! )

This Mainly happens when i slow down to a junction or turn on full lock with the clutch down!!
Any idea's?? It's getting a tough annoying!!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 145 Stalling!!!

My Focus used to do that.. It was a faulty idle control valve.. I also had an air leak on one of the breather pipes..
Maybe its something similar...
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 TBi ti

The full lock thing is the power steering pump stalling the engine, I bet turning on the main beams and heated rear screen at the same time will stall it to.

Try holding it just off full lock for the moment, if you hold it against full lock the power steering is constantly trying to pump the rack over more.
County: Wiltshire

An ECU reset would be the first port of call, then start looking into the Idle control, also another thing to check is... unplug the MAF and see if you can still make it happen, as the steering hits the limits it's stressing the engine and that in turn will hunt normally till it steadies, but if the MAF is starting to fail it wont respond in time and would stall the engine, especially if this only happens when the engine is warm.
County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD 10v

What happens if you blip the throttle just before the revs drop too low and it stalls? Does it then idle fine as normal?

I've recently had a slightly similar problem. The root of the problem was really poor wiring/corrosion at the relays boxes (in front of battery), which over time led to a broken Idle Actuator.

So, re-work those relays. Do it anyway, it is your power source and any corrosion there can create other mysterious problems later.
AO Member

Hi Didz! I little while ago my 145 also kept stalling (cut-out) on me, mostly as soon as the car ran a little and the engine reach operating temperature. It usually stalled as soon as the revs fell to idle. The Injector/Ignition warning light would then come on and the car will not start until the engine cooled down a bit. The source of the problem was the RPM sensor being faulty. I got a new RPM sensor from the stealer and replaced it myself although it is quite difficult to reach. Problem solved.

If it is in your case the RPM sensor, just make sure the stealer or other supply you with the correct RPM sensor. The Alfa dealer here in Pretoria initially supplied me with the wrong RPM sensor, in my opinion the one for the 147. The connection plug was different to that of the 145. Anyway, hope this might help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

145 , stalling