I got the car back from the garage and the reasons for failure were listed as follows:
1. Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter split [2.5.C.1a]
2. Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after second fast idle outside specified limits [7.3.2b]
Needs to be looked at:
1. Nearside (floor/sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive [5.1.B.6]
2. Offside (floor/sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive [5.1.B.6]
3. Offside rear brake disc(s) slightly pitted [3.5.1h]
4. Nearside front suspension arm rubber rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.3]
5. Offside front suspension arm rubber rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.3]
6. Parking break your vehicle has only just met the required park break efficiency. It would appear that the breaking system requires adjustment or repair. [3.7.A.9/10]
7. Head light aims on lower limits
8. Oil leak
9. Suspension joint nearside lower dust cover split/missing
10. Out sill trims fitted obstructin testers view
I've managed to scrape the £250 for the 2 main faults to be fixed and the retest but does anyone know what the rest of them are? Some are self explanatory but others aren't. Are any really important, excluding the oil leak because that has to be done asap? I know they might result in MOT failure next year but again it comes down to money and I will have to fix it all as the year goes on, so i am wondering about parts etc.
The 2 main faults will cost £60 in parts (£105 if you get a Bosch sensor) and if you have the tools, 3 hours to sort tops.
The other probs,
1 + 2 : Yes, clean the area and get a plate welded in as soon as you can, but the underlying problem will be a water leak up front, lift the carpet and check for dampness.
3 : Aren't they all? No-ones brakes are perfect and that is just wear and tear.
4, 5 + 9 : Well rubber flexes and this guy is trying to drum up unnecassary work, plus the ball joint boot will be replaced when the arms are, I'd say 2 years time.
6 : Tighten the nut down under the hand brake lever gaiter a few turns.
7 : Set the headlight dipper switch to 0.
8 : Probably the rocker cover gasket seal, remove it and squeeze in some silicone liquid gasket and reseat the rubber again.
10 : Er, it's got trim panels, this is not a fault, it's part of the car.