Beware Of Curbs!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Beware Of Curbs!!

I was in Asda car park last month, parked up like you do... You know in some car parks they have trees or bushes dotted around the car park, the ones usually with a curb going around them??

Well, I parked up, the front bumper scraped onto one of these curbs.. Not a problem is it? All you have to do is reverse off of it? Simple yeah?

So..I was just reversed on the clutch ever so slowly... It didnt move .. So I gave it a little gas... **BANG** **CRACK**

"OH ****" I thought..

The inside of the curb got caught on the inside of the bumper and ripped it straight off of its mounts...Straight through the grill shattering it into little bits leaving the bumper on the floor with a big hole in the bottom of it attached only by its fog light wires..

So it was new bumper and grill time..
£300 later..Fitted them last week and..

Today in DHL car park...I parked up infront of a hedge which has again, a curb infront of it...**CRRRGGHHH**

Tried reversing on the clutch....BALLS...It got caught again!!

I managed to drive the car up onto the curb at an angle and reverse at an angle so it didnt catch on the other side of the curb... PHEW!!
(this was my gfs idea when it happened the first time...But me being me I though "yeah yeah what do you know your a girl lol..I'll just reverse" suprisingly it actually worked this time so she gets some credit!)

Are 145's very low or has anyone else ever had this problem??
Could it because I dont have an engine undertray??
I dont think the car is lowered either..hmm...

Last edited by cloverleafer; 07-08-08 at 23:58.
Sponsored Links

Member car:

Re: Beware Of Curbs!!

Just did the same with a brand new Brera
read the post at albert hall
unbelievable - how it is possible???
AO Member

I'm obsessively careful in this regard and reverse into parking bays, whenever possible, as the car is obviously higher at the back. Also insanely careful not to curb the alloys. So far, so good.

Really annoying for you as well as 300 knicker down the gurgler. Many words of French and German origin uttered, no doubt.
AO Member

well basically, most modern cars have scuff pads (like a black rubbery plastic splitter style thing, but the 145 doesnt and is lower, i know this coming from the fiesta and astra, the fiesta used to catch but just on the strip, and astra used to have like 100 million miles of space lol,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

beware , curbs