Fuel Pump? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel Pump?

This has happened a few times to me now when the engine is cold. My 146 starts driving fine for about the first 1/2 mile and then she seems to want to stop. I can press the accelerator more trying to make her go more and she wants to stop even more. It gets to the point where I'm having to press the accelerator very lightly (barely crawling) to get her to go at all. The only time I've had something similar was when I ran out of petrol once, but I've got a nearly full tank at the moment so guessing it can't be that.

What symptoms does a car usually show if its got a dodgy fuel pump? Or any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the legendary engine temp sensor to me.

The car starts ok because the car is cold, then as it warms up, the temp sensor fails to acknowlede the change in temp, therefore the engine management system still thinks it is cold and so over fuels the car, causing it to stall.

At the point it stalls are the plugs wet with petrol, and covered in carbon soot? If they are it sounds like the sensor.

The good news, if it is the sensor is it costs 18 from Alfa and can be bought cheaper and found in motor factors as it is a Bosch part.

So much for German reliability

The fuel pump would probably play up at other times as well as it is not temp depandant.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, forgot to mention. Another mile or so down the road as the engine gets even warmer she runs fine and dandy.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Definitely temp sensor.
10 or 20 depending on model year.
DIY fit.
It's this bit:

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

If it was the petrol pump, they car wouldn't start at all.
It's electrical and located in the fuel tank.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McGuinn:
<strong>If it was the petrol pump, they car wouldn't start at all.
It's electrical and located in the fuel tank.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I'll be Damned, No Way!!
paulb you have a private message

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

fuel , pump