146 right indicator problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
146 right indicator problem

I have a '96 Alfa 146 1.6L. The right hand indicator is very tempremental, it usually works for a while but once the car has heated up it decides to work only when it wants to. At the moment I only know one way to rectify it... if i hit the top of the dashboard (above where the dials are) then the indicator comes back on. I have taken out the box which the dials are attached to but not being particualary good with electronics I could not find anything wrong, was kinda hoping it to be a loose plug or something. Can anyone help me with this?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Spudster, does the indicator outsise the car work, or is it just the green light on the instrument panel which doesn't work? If it's the outside lights, so they all not work, or just some? How about when you put the hazards on, do they work then?
The flasher unit is moumted near the fuse box under the dash on the right. There should be three or four relays mounted adjacent to the main fuse box, one of these will be the flasher, should be marked with a triangle. Check it is pushed in fully. If faulty try rubbing contacts with emery/sandpaper. If that fails Halfords sell them as fairly common to Fiat group, 18 ish from Halfords, 35 from dealer, 2 from scrap yard.

If still faulty, I guess hhat means a wiring fault and lots of
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

It may also be the switch-gear. Mine are flaky too. Need to be cleaned with switch cleaner.
If your not to keen on electrics, bring it to a dealer.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
had exactly the same problem on mine. and it was the relay.

It started happening every week or two for a few minutes but got more and more frequent.

I saw the price in the dealer and cried. Then I took the relay out (in the panel to the right of the steering wheel - it just pops out), took it apart, cleaned it and put it back. I then realised that I had just cleaned the boot release relay.

Then I took out the right one, cleaned it and put it back. That was 5 months ago and it has been fine since.

156 2.4jtd working it's way towards perfect condition. Loving the diesel warpage!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

146 , indicator , problem