Whats wrong with my boxer engine?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-11-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Whats wrong with my boxer engine?!

My 146 1.6 Boxer is playing up. Normally it runs fine, but recently I've had a few problems. The engine loses power, as if it's not firing on all four cylinders, the engine note changes and I can hear the more of an induction noise. Even if I floor the throttle, lay off, and open it up again it still won't accelerate. Then all of a sudden it bursts back into life and drives fine.

This has happened a couple of times over the last few weeks and lasts for a few seconds. This is when the engine is warm. I've also had a few problems starting the car from cold. It turns over with no hint of it starting. Then after a few attempts it will all of a sudden start as normal and drive fine. The car does not do it all the time so I'm a bit puzzled. I've done over 40,000 miles since owning the car, and its now done 82,000. I've never had any problems with the engine before as its always been reliable - until now!

Sponsored Links
Nordic Blue
Check your plugs and leads first and make sure the plug holes don't have water in them.
AO Silver Member
County: Setúbal

As Nordic Blue said, check your plugs and HT Leads... I've had a similar problem... but hadn't had the time (€€€) to replace the HT Leads..

All the Best

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

As montreal said, and Nordic Blue before him, It's likely to be the HT leads. Clean then and examine for loose connections. They should make a distinct pop pushed onto and sitting correctly on the plugs.
The ignition coil sits directly under the manifold, and is hard to squeeze hands into, but there could be a loose connection on this also.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
AO Member
I had that on mine, it stuttered for a few days until finally the whole spark plug blew out! its not a problem to fix, if it is your plug and you take it to a mechanic, dont let them tell you you have to get the cylinder head re-bored, just get someone reliable to re-tap it using a helix coil...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

boxer , engine , wrong