Drilling holes in my car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Drilling holes in my car

On a 1999 146 TS

Has anyone had any experience with running a power cable from the battery to the boot? I've given this a go this evening but can't seem to locate any holes going from the engine compartment through the bulk head.

The only holes I could find were.

1. the hole where the wires running to the fuse box go, all very well sealed up so I thought I wouldn't risk damaging any of this.

2. The hole where the wires running to the fuse box on a LHD alfa would be if someone had been nice enough to drill it. Theres a slit in the carpet, some plastic and resin type stuff but the hole stops dead at the metal.

I've decided to wait to drill this hole until I get a suitable gromet to stop it leaking.

Does anyone know of any ready drilled holes I might be able to use?

Thanks in advance, Paul.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Push a coathanger through the sealed up bit where the other wires are. That'll pierce it without damaging any of the wires there.

After your new wire has gone through you can seal it again using some bathroom sealant, if you've got some lying about. Or chewing gum works quite well.

Ralf S.
AO Member

Member car:

Not tried it on a 146, but on a Marea I found the grommet where the rear washer water tube went through the bulkhead was convenient. I've also heard that with the bonnet release cable is another possibility.
AO Member
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Mine is run from the battery towards the back, takes a left at the brake reservoir to roughly half way the length of the engine. Then it goes down to say the level of the top of the block. There you will find a grommet. Make a slit in it and the cable with a bit of persuasion will go through. It will come out just below the top of the carpet.

Mine is a 96 145 with no air con so that grommet may or may not be used by something else depending on your spec and the newer models.

Hope that helps.

145 Cloverleaf
33 16V
75 1.8

Now getting a 146 Ti back on the road
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

I've got mine going from the battery to a grommet into the area where the wiper motor is - under the black plastic cover - then through the bulkhead, entering just above the passenger airbag
That sounds like a good possibility. Did you have to take most of the dashboard apart to get to the area where the passenger airbag is (or would be in my case)?
Thanks for the help. Managed to get it though into the area near the wiper motor and then pushed it through somewhere behind the glovebox.

Theres an awful lot of sharp edges in a alfa, my hands now look like I've put them in a box of hungry rats.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

car , drilling , holes