Boy Have i got a Problem! Bang! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

145 cloverleaf

Help Boy Have i got a Problem! Bang!

I recentlly bought a 145 Cloverleaf. After spending the best part of 4 wks sorting out the gremlins, Stepper motor, Water hose,window Relay, Blocked screen wash, i took it to essex and along the way gave her a little blow out. 90 max. On the way back i was following a MX5 at 120 very comfortably, until he braked. i followed suit as you do. To my surprise, Bang! Under braking The engine Blew! the Con Rod was out the side of the block. Is This Normal?I am sure its not! i thought it was a performance car. I used to have an Alfasud 15Ti. Now i am left with a hole in my enginge!Going no where fast. I understand from my Mechanic that there is a Fiat Block Which is the same. Can Someone please help me. Is this true? If so which lump is it. 131 Mirafiori perhaps. Someone said that i should have put a heavier grade oil in (thicker) as the engine had done only! 90K.i really am up the creek now, drifting. Cheapest quote so far 650
Sponsored Links
Re: Boy Have i got a Problem! Bang!

hiya and welcome to AO...

sorry to hear of your woes...

best to post any technical questions within the relevant follows:

Alfa 145 & 146 - Alfa Romeo Forum

all the best

Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

moved to 145 tech lounge
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

Sorry to hear about your problems.

The usual cause of con rods going through the block is the engine having been previously run low on oil or having a cambelt fail. Both of these can damage the big end shells which will lead to failure later on. Possibly several thousand miles down the road..

There are no Fiat blocks which are the same as the 2 litre TS I am afraid, although the 2.0 16V fitted to the Tipo and Fiat Coupe is similar it is not interchangeable.
AO Silver Member
County: -

As per Simon, I would say that oil starvation would be the main contributing factor to such a catastrophic failure. Running low on oil is the TS engine's main weakness which is why you will see many posts on Alfa forums telling owners to make sure they check their oil once a week if the car is used on a daily basis.

Rather than trying to get your broken engine repaired, sourcing a good secondhand engine and putting that in instead would probably be a more sensible option. You don't know what else might be wrong with your engine and replacement Alfa parts unfortunately aren't cheap.

I would say you're probably looking at around a grand for another engine along with any labour charges for having it fitted.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

145 cloverleaf

Thanks guys for that info, the car was only used to get me to and from work, 4 miles. The oil was checked prior to my road test. I have, however been quoted £650 and still looking for other options as you recommend. There are some good breakers around london for me to check. Will keep opn searching. Oh, i have found a supplier in Bristol that can supply Bosch same part No.0 132 008 650 stepper motors for £29.95. Plus delivery. it say that this is for the 156. but the no,. is the same as the 145. Something to consider for anyone with an idleing problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

bang , boy , problem