Gentlemen your exhaust recommendations please... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Gentlemen your exhaust recommendations please...

I'm thinking about a new exhaust (cat-back or maybe just the rear silencer) for my 146ti, the problem is which one? A quick search through the forums proved inconclusive, with there being a fairly even split bewteen the brands.
It *has* to be stainless steel, that's my only pre-requisite, and TBH I don't want a Powerflow exhaust, preferring an "off the shelf" item. Plus I'm not too keen on my "local" Powerflow centre.
Noise? Well, the usual I 'spose - nice and deep, but not uncomfortable on the motorway. I've heard good things about CSC, but I'm unsure as to what they're made out of - mild steel or stainless? Same goes for Supersprint. Hmmm...
Any suggestions? Cheers...
Sponsored Links
if you can grin and bear it , i will reccomend power flow first off you choose the tail pipe 12 variations, so there will be one you like, it comes with a lifetime warrnty and you get it checked every year if you want, you can choose the bore size to suit your noise taste and they are stainless steel
your in essex?? were you thinking of extreme motorsport??? i know an alternative depending on which part of essex your in
Yeah Extreme's the one. What's the deal with the grade of stainless used? IIRC, they use an inferior grade (304?) compared to the usual, high-quality stuff (406?), which said to be none-too-resistant to corrosion.
AO Member
304 stainless is perfect for exhaust applications, should never corrode and most good manufacturers that use it are happy to guarantee it for 20 years plus. Never heard of 406 but there is a type 409 which I believe to be cheaper than 304.
Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Techy **** contained within this link...

It would seem that 304 is the preferred all rounder grade to use.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Make sure your exhaust really is stainless throughout, as some are just the outside casing leaving the baffles (which get most moisture contact from condensation) to be made out of the normal go rusty stuff!
the good thing with powerflow is if 3 years down the line your exhaust drops off, they will fit a new one
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

There's a slightly misleading post further up this thread though, saying that you can have it checked each year, if you like.
In order for the life-time guarantee to be honoured, you MUST have the exhaust checked each year, if you don't, the cover ends.
AO Silver Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mike M:
<strong>304 stainless is perfect for exhaust applications, should never corrode and most good manufacturers that use it are happy to guarantee it for 20 years plus. Never heard of 406 but there is a type 409 which I believe to be cheaper than 304.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">304 is a good quality 18% chrome stainless steel which is widely used in corrosive industrial applications. 409 is lower quality ~10% chrome which was introduced for the exhaust industry when US legislation required a minimum 50K miles (I think?) requirement for exhaust systems with cats. For me, the use of 304 was enough to persuade me to go to longlife.
AO Member
from the website:

Powerflow systems are fabricated from a combination of 409 grade, 430 grade and 304 grade stainless steel. Material choice for each separate component (silencer casings, end plates, perforated pipes, tail pipes, etc) is made on the bases of suitablity, durability and cost-effectiveness, whilst always ensuring that the product is good enough for Powerflow and its dealers to cover it with a lifetime of ownership guarantee (for original purchasers). Silencers are produced using modern weld free techniques. All seams are mechanically formed to minimise material damage caused by welding and are completely gas tight. The tubing used in most Powerflow systems is 409 grade, which is preferred because of its superior malleability (bending) characteristics. 304 grade tubing is available as a customer option.

Anything i post is my view, and not those of anyone else. anyone who associates my views with anyone else is a proper spoon....

Chris 'AKA' SuperRockin'MisterMagic!
I just had a Powerflow fitted to my 155 Silverstone.
The noise is deep but still has the Alfa rasp to it. On the motorway the exhaust is quiet and at no point is it boomy. I asked for a 2 box cat back system to be quiet. It seems louder 'cos the tone is deeper, but not Boy Racer loud. I had a straight through decat pipe on the car, but to quieten it down, they built me a stainless steel decat pipe with a silencer....FOR FREE !!!!

The welding looks good and they even spray the welding with stainless steel coloured paint to make it look nice. Also the pipes are all nicely bent and the zorst is secured extremely well.

You have to have the zorst checked once a year to keep the warranty intact. The check is free and so are any repairs.

I paid £260 + Vat for mine. Fitted by Sportscar Services, Cairneyhill, near Dunfermline.

do ansa still make exhausts for alfas i know i had one on my 33 and it was quite nice!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

yes, i think they now trade under CSC Marmitte:

I will probably get one of those when I'm in need of a new back box/system..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 145 Clov...

Go with Powerflow.

What Age is your 146?

I got Xtreme Motorsport do fit mine, thay did a good job. I might have to go back to them and see if that will fit my old powerflow back to my old car. I damn hope so. Or i will have to get some one local to re-fit it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 145 & 146

exhaust , gentlemen , recommendations